Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Power supply circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofeedad

I am looking for a light duty power supply circuit for voltages such as 12v, 24v, 36v and 48v. All DC, the current needs are low so I don't think I need alot of heat sinking.

Just a note to those who might offer help. I will have a supplied voltage of 110VAC, with a reduction supplying either 12VAC or 24VAC for a useable output.

I really hope someone will offer some good help, as I know that doing a blanket search for power supplies will be vertually fruitless.

mpja.com is one source for power supplies, making your own is generally not a good idea. Ebay is another possible source for decent generic cheap benchtop supplies depending on your current requirements. "The current needs are low" is relative. Low current for a battery is a few ma's. Low current for the rectifier at the plating shop I worked for was a few hundred amps.

Thanks for writting I will check out your suggestionson where to buy power supplies (I didn't even think of e-bay being a place for such things).

I am designing / looking for several circuits (with my OLD degree in elect. eng. I say that because alot of what is said today is "almost" beyond me).

I am designing / making a prototype of a "machine" that needs several simple circuits (individual voltage supplies), and a few complex circuits (MHz frequency modulation) to run some transducers.

At this point, I am not sure what voltages I will need but, I know I will need a couple anyway. The current output, as I said before will be very low, under 10W, probably under 5Watts.

Simple variable current/voltage bench supplies from MPJA are very inexpensive. Most expensive part is shipping =)

110vac half wave rectified is ~56vdc. By switching around 'former secondaries and combining with 110vac you can get almost any voltage.
At low current it should be easy.

Half wave rectifier? Yeah sure, with REALLY bad ripple.

I don't know what happened I wrote an update as to the power requirements but, don't see it on the forum. Seems I read my data wrong, I need 25 - 100Watts not 5 - 10 Watts, and yes it needs to be pretty constant as it will be running some piezotransducers.

I don't really want to incorrporate a bench type power supply, I need to keep the overall size of the device down. I will look at the possible sites that everyone suggested for "off the shelf" power supplies.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I find them all helpful and interesting.

No, I'm not misting a swimming pool, just a medium sized room. Why would you ask? Do my wattage requirements seem that high? My transducers draw ~25 W, if I use four I want to be able to support all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back