Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need info/cross ref

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverht

I am trying to repair and RCA Stereo/amp.
I have these little transistors that I am trying to figure out what they are.

A107
M 128 (or M 120)

They are paired with

C107
M 128 (or M120)

Any ideas?

The front face is 1/8" or 3.1750mm.

Attachments

• P7300126.JPG
    P7300126.JPG
    454.6 KB · Views: 1,707
Last edited:
2SA107 & 2SC107 perhaps?

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

HTH

Wrong type of casing. 2SA107 and 2SC107 are very old... This set of transistors are from this century.

After doing some serious research I did find a 2SA107 and 2SC107 in this type of casing. I am sorry for doubting you. Thank you for pointing me down the right road.

Last edited:
Even more confused on what I have

The A107 as pictured above I have figured as a TO92A case.
hFE reading = 2 PNP or 28 NPN

BUT running an Ohm test I get these results (1=E 2=C 3=B)
2P, 3N = 1M Ω
1P, 3N = 1M Ω
1P, 2N = Infinite
1N, 2P = Infinite
1N, 3P = 1M Ω
2N, 3P = Infinite

Then the C107 same casing and pins
hFE reading = 4 NPN or 67 PNP

Ohm test results
2P, 3N = 41M Ω
1P, 3N = 1M Ω
1P, 2N = 1M Ω
1N, 2P = 59M Ω
1N, 3P = 1M Ω
2N, 3P = 1M Ω

Plus the datasheets you supplied to me above list the 2SC107 has both a NPN and PNP. And does not state what the 2SA107 is. I am guessing I have a 2SA107 NPN that has a short between base and emitter. And the 2SC107 is PNP with some weird defect. But I REALLY could be wrong. Please help, I am really confused.

I have read in many places on the internet that the test for open/closed using a resistance test can tell if a transistor is PNP/NPN and is good/bad. Are all these places wrong?

I have read in many places on the internet that the test for open/closed using a resistance test can tell if a transistor is PNP/NPN and is good/bad. Are all these places wrong?

Basically yes, they are wrong, but not for an old analogue meter - digital meters don't work, you MUST use the diode test range to check transistors in this way.

It requires 0.7V or so to forward bias a silicon junction, the way digital meter resistance ranges work don't provide enough voltage to do this.

Basically yes, they are wrong, but not for an old analogue meter - digital meters don't work, you MUST use the diode test range to check transistors in this way.

It requires 0.7V or so to forward bias a silicon junction, the way digital meter resistance ranges work don't provide enough voltage to do this.

That's why I still use my old YEW Analogue meter. It never lies :p

Cheers

Last edited:
:mad: Well... I am back to square one on what I can use in place of these. Using the diode setting I had ALL open readings. :confused: How can you have all open readings and still get a hFE value that is within spec for the transistor??? Yes, I check the multimeter with a known working diode and tested right. Anyone know what I can use in place of these A107's and C107's? Can I get away with making some out of small diodes? :rolleyes:

a107 may be a digital transistor

I've got a similar problem. A 2sa107 crosses to an NTE 160 which is a RF germanium transistor. There's no way this is correct. Digital transistors have internal resistors which mess up readings when checking them, usually including a fairly large value in series with the base.

There are numerous prefixes for digital transistors, for example: HTA, DTA, etc. I haven't found the correct one yet.

If it is a digital transistor (I think it is), the transistors may be good, even if they check almost open. I would say checking the gain (hfe) if your meter has that feature would offer a reasonable test.
Also, I seem to recall digital transistors to have the more squared-off case shape this has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back