Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need idea's for IR reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboticinfo

Hey guy's need help with a project, I own alot of remote's to tv's that I had bought from a surplus store that I work at, and I don't have a reciever to decode the signals from the remote.

Is there a reciever that is universal or something related to that.

The only reciever's I know of is the sharp reciever and the sony reciever from electronic golmine

any body have any idea's.

This would be to control a robot
I already know how, but don't know how to use different remote's other then the sharp and sony.

GTAman said:
Hey guy's need help with a project, I own alot of remote's to tv's that I had bought from a surplus store that I work at, and I don't have a reciever to decode the signals from the remote.

Is there a reciever that is universal or something related to that.

The only reciever's I know of is the sharp reciever and the sony reciever from electronic golmine

any body have any idea's.

This would be to control a robot
I already know how, but don't know how to use different remote's other then the sharp and sony.

Try my PIC tutorials for details of how to do Sony SIRC's, but there are many totally different types of remote systems, so it's best to try and stick with a single one!. I choose the Sony system because it's simple to do, and easily understandable.

I already know how to use the sony, but I have so many remotes that I don't want to throw away and I want to use them.

So I would want to find a reciever that could adapt to some of the remote's I have.

Re: reply

GTAman said:
I already know how to use the sony, but I have so many remotes that I don't want to throw away and I want to use them.

So I would want to find a reciever that could adapt to some of the remote's I have.

You would have to decide on a scheme to do so, there are many totally different IR schemes used, it's exceedingly difficult to implement a scheme for decoding them all. The general way is to store huge amounts of data for each type, actually recording the widths of the mark and space signals.

As far as I know, there's no projects on the net that allow you to this using a microcontroller?.

I don't want to have a reciever that execpt's multiple remote's, I just want to use the remote's to control different robot's.

Here is an example

Say I wanted to control a robot called "cyperbot" and I used the philps remote, And to control "crazybot" I would use Sanyo remote and so on.

That is what I am trying to do.

GTAman said:
I don't want to have a reciever that execpt's multiple remote's, I just want to use the remote's to control different robot's.

Here is an example

Say I wanted to control a robot called "cyperbot" and I used the philps remote, And to control "crazybot" I would use Sanyo remote and so on.

That is what I am trying to do.

Philips is the most common system, it uses a type of Manchester coding, there are various examples available on the net - search for RC5 (the name of the system).

I've no idea what Sanyo might use, you may have to 'reverse engineer it'.

Say if I tryed the philps, would it be hard to adapt to a microcontroller?

but that would mean that I could only have 3 robot's be IR
witch I want alot more then that.

I would only have
Philp
sony
sharp

and I need more.

Any idea's

GTAman said:
but that would mean that I could only have 3 robot's be IR
witch I want alot more then that.

I would only have
Philp
sony
sharp

and I need more.

Any idea's

By using commercially available remote controls you are limiting yourself, by writing your own transmitter codes you can have as many as you wish. But bear in mind, it's only a limitation of how many you can use AT THE SAME TIME!.

GTAman said:
Are you talking about making my own IR transmitter/reciever?

Yes, it's easy to do using a PIC (check my IR PIC tutorial and Keypad tutorial, where I do just that).

IR remotes transmit a serial data train (similar to a radio one), they commonly transmit two sections - a device code (TV, VCR etc.) and a key code (ON, Vol Up, Mute etc.) - this allows you to use the same remote system to control multiple devices. My tutorial lists various device and key codes for Sony remotes, and one of them gives an LCD display of what the Sony transmitter is sending.

Normal IR remotes mostly only transmit one device ID, so a TV remote will only work a TV - although often a TV remote will also have a few buttons to work a VCR, these transmit the VCR ID instead of the TV id.

Well you still used a sony remote witch is not building your own transmitter.

I think I found some links a while back ago on how to make your own ir transmitter's all check that out and see what I come up with.

GTAman said:
Well you still used a sony remote witch is not building your own transmitter.

I also built my own SIRC's transmitter, which gives you the option of using ANY device ID you like, and also extending the system for more device codes and key codes.

I guess I will do something related to what you did and that should give me what I want.

Thanks Nigel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back