Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with wind turbine circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlyn09

Hello everyone, this is for my design project and i need help on a circuit regarding wind turbine.

The turbine will be used on a fishing boat. Also, the turbine will power up a raspberry pi 3. Our only problem is hooking up the wind turbine to the raspberry pi. The load will be approx 10W. Our initial setup will be like this :

Wind Turbine --- Charge Controller --- Battery Bank --- Boost converter --- Raspberry pi 3.

What we want is to make the raspberry pi run for hours because it will be used by fishing vessel using AIS. We dont know what kind of battery is suited for this as well as the turbine circuit. We plan to make our own turbine with 20W power or buy a turbine online with 200W but it is expensive. Thank you very much

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Your vessel doesn't have power already? What is powering the AIS? Why not charge your battery from that source?

The AIS will be coming from Raspberry Pi. And what powers the raspberry pi is the battery. We proposed a renewable energy source for our project that's why we cant mess with the boat's system. Furtheemore, we are just students so we dont wanna mess up a boat's electrical system. Thank you

. We dont know what kind of battery is suited for this
I would use a 12V battery labeled "boat", "RV", or "deep discharge". Most car batteries do not like being discharged. They are for starting a car only. A RV (recreational vehicle) battery is designed to run lights. Lower current. Deep discharge. Like the battery for electric trolling on boats. That battery will be labeled 12V but will charge at more like 14V.
Wind Turbine --- Charge Controller --- Battery Bank --- Boost converter --- Raspberry pi 3.
The Raspberry Pi 3 I have runs from 5V at about 4A. I would use a Buck converter rated for 11 to 15V input and 5V out. (this depends on what all there is with the Pi) Maybe you have a big monitor that runs on 120V ac. You can get "inverters" that run on car 12V and output 120VAC.

There is some advantage to running 12 volt system because there are many pieces you can get from the auto parts store.

Last edited:
The recommended power supply for the Raspberry Pi 3 is 5V@2.5A?
I just looked and I have a 5V@2.5A supply. My paper work said the average is much less but the max is high.
Part of the problem is I often have several USB devices attached. (Key Board, mouse, thumb drive) The relay board does use a different 5V supply. Some times I use a USB hard drive.
Some where I read a article on low power Pi. If you are not using the monitor big parts of the Pi can be shutdown. You can back down the speed. Some people do not use WIFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back