Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with triac

Status
Not open for further replies.
A resistor in series with D3 will speed up the turn off time of the relay by dissipating the energy in the coil more quickly. The faster off time will cause the contacts to open more quickly and reduce the arcing.

A snubber network across the contacts or motor will limit the back-EMF generated by the motor's inductance when it's turned off when the current is at the peak part of the AC cycle. The capacitor and resistor will form a damped resonant circuit with the motor's inductance which will reduce the peak voltage and reduce arcing.

What are the ratings for the snubber components?
0.1uF 400v and 100 ohm 0.5W ?

and what are the ratings for series resistor?
i measured relay coil and it shows about 70 ohms so will 68 ohms 0.5w resistor will enough?

Last edited:
That will do, it's not critical.

The resistor in series with D3 should be near to the value of the coil i.e. for 500R use 470R and can be a low power rating 0.125W, 0.25W etc.

another queston

by the way i have a question.is it ok to operate the circuit 24x7 ? i mean i continuously supply power to transformer and it will keep NE555 in standby mode so when i press the button it will switch on the relay and after time up it will switch off and go to standby.

is there any danger in doing this or will this reduce life time of the unit?
thanks

Providing it's well ventilated enough there shouldn't be a problem.

Going by the size of the transformer, the size of the box and that you're not drawing too much current from the transformer, you shoudn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back