Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help With Sound Acivated LED Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a perforated circuit board? Do you know how to solder parts and wires together?

The volume control should have an audio taper and not be a linear potentiometer.
Our sensitivity to sound and light levels is logarithmic so that when the volume or brightness control is turned down to halfway, the intensity appears to be half only when a logarithmic audio taper pot is used. A linear pot turned to halfway produces intensity that appears to be turned down only a little.

In my post #24 I said, "The negative terminal of the battery or power supply connects to ground."

A little 9V battery is too small to light 8 LEDs for long. If the music level is high which is turning on the LEDs brightly most of the time then the current from the battery is 160mA. The 9V battery begins at 9V but when it is drained with 160mA its voltage drops to 7.2V in about 30 minutes when the LEDs will be so dim that you can barely see them. I recommend using six AA alkaline cells which last 4 times longer.

The no-name-brand cheap Chinese LEDs have no detailed spec's. Their viewing angle is probably very narrow.

Hit the thumbs up icon in the lower right side of my posts.
Like I did in your last post.

OTAY, now come here and fix my intermittent cable modem. I gave a Like! :)

Heed what Audio Guru says about the battery.

Do you have a perforated circuit board? Do you know how to solder parts and wires together?

The volume control should have an audio taper and not be a linear potentiometer.
Our sensitivity to sound and light levels is logarithmic so that when the volume or brightness control is turned down to halfway, the intensity appears to be half only when a logarithmic audio taper pot is used. A linear pot turned to halfway produces intensity that appears to be turned down only a little.

In my post #24 I said, "The negative terminal of the battery or power supply connects to ground."

A little 9V battery is too small to light 8 LEDs for long. If the music level is high which is turning on the LEDs brightly most of the time then the current from the battery is 160mA. The 9V battery begins at 9V but when it is drained with 160mA its voltage drops to 7.2V in about 30 minutes when the LEDs will be so dim that you can barely see them. I recommend using six AA alkaline cells which last 4 times longer.

The no-name-brand cheap Chinese LEDs have no detailed spec's. Their viewing angle is probably very narrow.
No I do not have a circuit board, but I can get one. I know how to solder parts and wires together. Can you please recommend parts for me to order off amazon? Preferably in the USA so I don't have to wait a month for shipping.

I do not order no-name-brand cheap Chinese junk without any detailed spec's from Amazon or from E-bay.
Instead I order high quality name-brand parts from Digikey and Newark after viewing the detailed datasheets. If I order before 8:00PM it is delivered to me the next morning and they are not even in my country (they are American, I am in Canada).

OTAY, now come here and fix my intermittent cable modem. I gave a Like!
Take board out of case and bake at 375 deg for 20 min to reflow intermittent solder joints.

My cable modem used to fail every month. I took them to the cable TV/Internet store and they threw them into a garbage can full of them and give me another new one. Month after month.
But my latest cable modem is 3 years old and still works perfectly. It is not simply a cheap modem, it is also a wireless router. It is made in China.

I do not order no-name-brand cheap Chinese junk without any detailed spec's from Amazon or from E-bay.
Instead I order high quality name-brand parts from Digikey and Newark after viewing the detailed datasheets. If I order before 8:00PM it is delivered to me the next morning and they are not even in my country (they are American, I am in Canada).
Do you think you could help me get a list together from stuff of amazon, just so I also know I am getting the correct stuff as well?

In personal conversations he is ordering suitable parts from Jameco or RadioShack. If the LED beam is too narrow then he will lightly sand its top for better diffusion.

In personal conversations he is ordering suitable parts from Jameco or RadioShack. If the LED beam is too narrow then he will lightly sand its top for better diffusion.
OK keep us posted on how it is progresing after you get your parts.

Will do. It might be a bit of a delayed response of when I order and get everything going because I got my tonsils out a few days ago. Thanks for the help everybody. I truly appreciate you taking your time and helping out the less knowledgeable haha.

I got my tonsils cut out with a scalpel about 58 years ago. It took about 2 weeks to heal.
Today they use a laser and it heals in a couple of (hours?) days.

My vasectomy operation about 32 years ago was quick and simple. Everything works the same as before but no more babies.

My hernia repairs about 20 years ago were agony for a few days when the guys in the hospital told many jokes and the laughing caused severe pain. We laughed all the time.

During my cataracts operations I heard the doctor telling me that the old lens inside my eye was now removed and he is inserting the new lens. The next day everything looked very clear and colors were very vivid.

During my heart attack operation to open two blocked heart arteries with stents I heard the doctor tell me that the radioactive dye he is putting in my arteries will feel warm and it did feel warm. I watched the progress on the monitor screen.

Good luck Jesse, I hope you heal soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back