Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with snubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna1

hello gys,I,m working on a fan dimmer.i want to know how to design a snubber for the triac? problem is i have no details about fan motor.

and is there any way to omit snubber circuit?

thanks

I am pretty sure the snubber is necessary to protect the TRIAC from voltage spikes. The manufacturer probably has guidelines on what to use for it, but I'll wager it depends on the nature of the load.

That's what I was afraid of. You can't "dim" a ceiling fan like a light bulb. They use an AC induction motor, and the speeds are varied by using different value of the phasing capacitor that runs the motor. If you try to do a "dimmer" to vary speed the motor will overheat and eventually stall.

That's what I was afraid of. You can't "dim" a ceiling fan like a light bulb. They use an AC induction motor, and the speeds are varied by using different value of the phasing capacitor that runs the motor. If you try to do a "dimmer" to vary speed the motor will overheat and eventually stall.
actually its possible,i did it.currently I'm fine tuning timing of firing the triac.i needed a snubber to prevent triac from continoues turn on.

here is the circuit **broken link removed**

this contain complete instruction and code.but I'm doing some modification to code now and i will upload modified code once i finish it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back