Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with project

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitchell09

HI am really new here and also a newbie in electronics.

i need help in making a project. My project is an automated water dispenser
which will pour water on the bottle when you just place it under the faucet.

my idea is to use a tripping device(laser? or infrared) to detect the action.

i dont have any idea on how to start this. can someone help me to point out links or circuit design i can follow. some guides
ty for your help

Ive done basically the same project in year 8 but instead i used a picaxe programmer with ldr, and told it that when light from ldr drops below 10 than play music from buzzer. This was during christamss time and my parents had decorated the living room, soo i place the picaxe chip i programmed on one side of a doorway and a laser on the other side of the doorway which was pointed on the ldr. i also uploaded 3 christamss songs onto the chip.

so when someone walked through the doorway the lightbeam would break causing the ldr to sense lower light level and then play a christmas song (which would change everytime you walked passed it).

so this could also be done with your project you want to build. if you have got no knowledge of programming dont worry its very simple program and i can even help you. i soldered a picaxe chip together myself which reduced the price dramatically, so by doing a google search for picaxe should bring up a page on where to buy

Please contact me if you have any problems
hope i helped

hey thnx for the reply.

infrared is cheaper yes?

whats an LDR? sorry am really new

where can i find a circuit design for that?

Hi

LDR stands for light dependent resistor. It has a high electrical resistance when in the dark, but when a light shines on it, the resistance drops.

Take a look at the following link: -

https://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/ldr1.htm

Personally I like the idea of using infra-red, however in my opinion it would probably be more expensive than using an LDR. However, one benefit of infrared is that it is less likely to be triggered by mistake (e.g. light from other sources triggering the circuit).

SnowyDog

hey i found some circuit design regarding this(its infrared)
and there some things i dont understands.
specifically the parts said.

i encircled it for easy identifying

um 10k preset resistor is? 10k variable resistor?

and 9v relay what is the real product called?

kindly explain the diagram pls.

*i know the circuit works when beam gets block the relay will get deactivated

sorry for double post need to attach something

Attachments

• 12.GIF
    12.GIF
    14.1 KB · Views: 390
nitchell09 said:
kindly explain the diagram pls.

The 555 is generating 38KHz pulse to drive the IR Led's
The 10K trimer (potentiometar, variable resistor - not sure what the proper english term is) is used to fine tune the 555 oscillations to match the 38 or 40KHz IR Receiver will detect.

The IR Receiver detects only IR light modulated to 38 or 40KHz (depending on the IR Receiver used) and will sink the output pin (pin3 on the receiver on the schematic) to GND when the signal is detected.

Output pin (pin3) of the IR Receiver goes to base of the BC107 trough preset 2k2 trimer and when the output pin is high (no modulated signal detected" it will drive the BC107 that will power on the relay. The preset trimer is used to fine tune the base current to BC107.

The reason why this circuit is "good" is that IR Receiver will ignore all "unmodulated" light sources (like local light, sunlight etc) and will only respond to modulated light emitted from the IR leds being modulated by 555...

Looks like a decent circuit, not sure why they used a pot to drive the output transistor. A 1K resistor should work with a small relay.

nitchell09 said:
ic. so if i put in ldr will it work perfectly in a well lighted room?

tnx again for the link

Well.. yes it should, depending on how you design your circuit and where you mount the LDR in your water dispenser.

Whatever your sensor is, you need to make sure that it is only triggered when the water bottle is put in position under the faucet. So, for example if you chose to use a LDR, you could have a light bulb shining onto the LDR normally, but when someone puts a water bottle in between the bulb and the LDR, the LDR is then covered up (in darkness) and your circuit can turn on the water valve.

However, one problem that might happen is if light in the room could still get to the LDR, it would not switch the water valve on even when a bottle was in the dispenser.

If you choose infrared, it's the same idea but you need to use an infra-red light source and an infra-red receiver instead of the light bulb and LDR.

The advantage of infra-red is that is it less likely that the circuit will get affected by the normal light in the room.

SnowyDog

hey snowy dog.. just exactly what i thought.. if other light will hinder its activation then it will not work properly.

so infra red is my best choice on this cuz it is most likely to have false trigger.

am still not sure about 9v relay something.

*tnx for the explanation arhi. i learn something new everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back