Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with my Sherwood S-7450 Stereo Reciever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itshere

Can someone please look at the video and tell me how to fix this?

Its normally fine but recently one or both sides suddenly go very choppy and the sound is distorted and you have to tap on the back to get the sound back to its original state. The nob that I am regulating is the balance, originally its in the center, as soon as I turned it to the left, it happened.

I tried with another amplifier and didnt have this issue so Its definitely the Sherwood at fault here but what exactly should be fix and how much would it cost approx?

Thank you for your help!

The first thing I would do is to clean the balance "pot" (potentiometer). You would have to remove the top cover and spray contact cleaner into the balance pot (behind the knob) while turning the knob rapidly from side to side. You could use a contact cleaner spray from Radio Shack or other same type store. It's about a $7 gamble that this will fix the problem.

There is definitely a bad connection somewhere. Whether it be the wiper of the knob potentiometer, or the input jacks, or the cables, something is not making proper contact. What were you wiggling near the end of the video? That seemed to have a major impact on the sound. My personal guess is that you've got some cold cracked solder joints on the input jacks. Best way to fix it is open the thing up and re-flow the joints with a soldering iron. I would need to see photos of the inside though, where the jacks are soldered to the circuit board.

Greetings Itshere !

I highly recommend cleaning all of the controls as suggested by xaxxon, I concur with him. The product that I have been successfully using for many years is 'Deoxit'. It is a very good cleaner and contact deoxidizer. Additionally I further recommend following a thorough cleaning with a product known as 'ProGold'. If you use these products in the order mentioned, it will be a very long term fix ! These products are a bit pricey but WELL worth their cost ! You don't need much of either product to get the job done either. I realize that you've long since fixed your issue with the Sherwood but keep these fine products in mind for any future needs. You will be glad you did !
Best regards, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back