Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with current sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryden_burton

Hi everyone, i need help, i want to build a safety device, heres what i need it to do.

I need a load sensor circuit which will sense a small hot glue gun when it is plugged in to a GFCI outlet, and turn a LED on around 20 feet away.

It would be nice if it could be placed in a double gang PVC weather proof box with two GFCI outlets.

Any help would be great thanx :)

I have not tried this but it should work. My hot glue gun is 20 watts which means it draws 167 mA at 120 volts. A 10:1 current transformer will supply 16.7 mA to an LED. I used two LEDs back to back to protect against reverse voltage.

Attachments

• ixfmr.jpg
    ixfmr.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 468
Russlk said:
I have not tried this but it should work. My hot glue gun is 20 watts which means it draws 167 mA at 120 volts. A 10:1 current transformer will supply 16.7 mA to an LED. I used two LEDs back to back to protect against reverse voltage.

thanks i'll try that, it sounds cheaper than the other ideas

Nigel Goodwin said:
dryden_burton said:
i tried it, it didnt work
do i have to use uninsulated wire

If you don't use insulated wire it will short together!. Don't forget, you are only winding one of the two mains wires through the core!.

i only put one of the two mains wires through the core the hot,
used insulated wire and used a ferite core from another transformer it still doesnt work
maybe there is too much line loss

i found one of these **broken link removed** in my junk box but it wont light an led with the glue gun, it works with a bigger load but what good is it if it wont work with the glue gun.

ok maybe i got it wired wrong it has 3 tabs comeing out of it like this
i have them hooked up like this

*to LED
*------*to LED

maybe thats wrong i'll have to screw around with them to try and get more power out of it,
or maybe i could hook it to a voltage multiplier :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back