need help with current sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryden_burton

Hi everyone, i need help, i want to build a safety device, heres what i need it to do.

I need a load sensor circuit which will sense a small hot glue gun when it is plugged in to a GFCI outlet, and turn a LED on around 20 feet away.

It would be nice if it could be placed in a double gang PVC weather proof box with two GFCI outlets.

Any help would be great thanx

I have not tried this but it should work. My hot glue gun is 20 watts which means it draws 167 mA at 120 volts. A 10:1 current transformer will supply 16.7 mA to an LED. I used two LEDs back to back to protect against reverse voltage.

Attachments

• ixfmr.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 473
Russlk said:
I have not tried this but it should work. My hot glue gun is 20 watts which means it draws 167 mA at 120 volts. A 10:1 current transformer will supply 16.7 mA to an LED. I used two LEDs back to back to protect against reverse voltage.

thanks i'll try that, it sounds cheaper than the other ideas

dryden_burton said:
i tried it, it didnt work
do i have to use uninsulated wire

If you don't use insulated wire it will short together!. Don't forget, you are only winding one of the two mains wires through the core!.

i only put one of the two mains wires through the core the hot,
used insulated wire and used a ferite core from another transformer it still doesnt work
maybe there is too much line loss

i found one of these **broken link removed** in my junk box but it wont light an led with the glue gun, it works with a bigger load but what good is it if it wont work with the glue gun.

ok maybe i got it wired wrong it has 3 tabs comeing out of it like this
i have them hooked up like this

*to LED
*------*to LED

maybe thats wrong i'll have to screw around with them to try and get more power out of it,
or maybe i could hook it to a voltage multiplier :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…