Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with cmos, TTL and pierce oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuan_101

so here's my situation currently, im trying to build a crystal oscillator circuit that would work for a 40KHZ ultrasonic sensor, model SSQC SQ-40T and SSQC SQ-40T. i've done a decent amount of research about this but i'm not sure which oscillator is most suitable for this: TTL, CMOS, or pierce oscillator? i've been looking at mostly the Pierce oscillator and how they work on this site:

**broken link removed**

what i dont understand from that site is the example they showed, which is with the equation to get all the values within the circuit. Can someone show me
how that equation works? or an equation for getting the values for any of the other oscillator cmos, ttl.. etc, and another thing is for the U1 inverter gate in that pierce oscillator, can any gate be used? (sorry i'm abit unsure about the gate so i'm just assuming)

My second problem is that it is impossible for me to find a 40KHZ crystal, however what i have found is a 4MHZ crystal:
**broken link removed**

what i do want to know, is there any way to divide a crystal by 100 to get 40KHZ? i know about that its possbile to divide it in 2,4,8, and 16. But 100 seems a lot? so if there's any way please advise me.

please also comment whether i'm on the right track or just completely gone off the topic, i just need a lot of help about this. i'm a beginer at electronics

Divide by ten twice - it's a common requirement, and there are a number of common logic chips that do just that.

However, it's pretty pointless for a ultrasonic source - it needs to be variable, so you can tune it precisely to match the transducers. A 555 timer would be a better choice, and work FAR better.

Why do you need crystal stability? I just built the 40kHz IR transmitter being discussed in this thread using just a free-running astable multivibrator using a high-speed opamp. The stability seems to be just fine...

yeh i would of use an IR if it wasnt too late, the amplifier has already been built pretty much, im just stuck on this oscillator thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back