Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with a small doubt with PIC and verilog code

Status
Not open for further replies.

sal

i have a small verilog programm for my bot but don't have a Spartan 3 to see if it's working but my doubt is this can i programm a PIC with a verilog code??

PIC's and FPGA's are so totally unrelated that what you're asking is how you can do a head transplant between a mouse and a giraffe.

If you need the flexibility and speed of an FPGA use verilog and get yourself an FPGA module to test it on.

If you can use a PIC, learn to use a pic by itself.

FPGA's (verilog) is NOT a good place for someone starting in robotics to jump into, at the VERY least learn to use PIC's (or AVR's) and then move up to FPGA's once you need their unique flexibility.

I would love to see that head transplant. LOL

Sceadwian said:
If you need the flexibility and speed of an FPGA use verilog and get yourself an FPGA module to test it on.

I would suggest a PIC (or any micro-controller) is far more flexible than an FPGA - where an FPGA wins is on pure speed, where and if it's needed - which it's certainly NOT on a robot.

Keep in mind Nigel, if need be you can upload a micro controller core into an FPGA, and it will run a damn site faster in sram than it will from flash. There's a website link bellow that contains micro controller/processor cores for a wide range of architectures. They take up a relativly large chunk of the FPGA space, but then you get the ability to reprogram your processor to interface with whatever FPGA code you generate yourself. Virtual hardware, and you can add your own instructions. Atmel did something like this where they just sort of glued a real silicon AVR core to an FPGA architecture and link their internal memories to give the best of both worlds but the development environment is ungodly expensive. The amount of tools and refrences available on the net for FPGA's now is makeing them more and more attractive to hobbyists. The modules I've found are still pretty expensive though (50-100 dollars and more for the really beefy ones)

https://www.opencores.org/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back