Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a microchip controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bar10dr

Hi and boy am I glad to find this place. I'm trying to build a winder to keep my collection of automatic watches operating. Wiring a motor is no biggie but I'm totally lost when it comes to the controller. Some commercial units I've seen use "fuzzy logic" to accomplish the control I'm after. I need the unit to alternate between clockwise and couter clockwise rotation and also fixed periods of operation and rest on a fairly consistent daily basis so I can regulate the # of rotations. I hope this explains my needs adequately but I'll try to elaborate more if necessary. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

would i be correct in saying to need a microcontroller to turn a motor in one direction and then turn it in another direction? what microcontroller have you thought of using?

I'm really gonna show my ignorance here

I not only have no idea, I honestly don't even understand the question. I was hoping something was available that just did what I wan out of the box. I've gone to a number of other electronic hobyists sites and get snowed with technical jargon. I am a bartender and this is pretty much a one time shot project not the start of any interest in electronics

Nedded to control

I need the device to allow the motor to spin in one direction for a specified time: pause for a period: reverse directions and spin for another specified time. I can't tell you as yet the exact time for each cycle or the number of cycles per day as I haven't yet gotten the motor and determined the RPM's. Most watches should function adequately at about 1000 revolutions per day

I am not sure of any products that you can just take out of the box and make it work, sorry!

I have a rough idea of what you want, but requires making circuit and programming etc! which im sure u dont want to do :)

if i find anything i will let your know!

If I were you I would first get a suitable motor (one that is easy to control from an MCU) and sort out the mechanics - presumably you will need a turntable or something like it to hold the watches which is driven by the motor. Check that you can control the motor with switches, and then substitute an MCU and driver transistors for the switches. Then you can start developing your software to control the motor.

Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back