Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help with a MDTECHPLUS Digital Meter Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonti

I picked up a MDTECHPLUS Digital Meter at a garage sales. It looked new and only cost 10.00, the owner said he knew nothing on how it worked but it probably needed a new battery. I put a new battery in it and all it would do is: the backlight would come on for about 10 seconds and then nothing, about 1 out of ten times the battery indicator would show.

So far I have:
• Disassembled the unit
• Clean both sides of the broad with alcohol
• Looked for any cold solder joints
• Cleaned the dial connects
• And yes tried a new battery

I really like to get this unit working because it has an RS232 interface with it which would help me a lot.

Any ideas on what to try next would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I do not know of that make, but if you provide a model # and a picture (most likely the unit was produced under a dozen different names) someone here will recognize it and will help. In the meanwhile, use a power suply instead of the battery. Measure the current consumption of the few things it does. E

The unit does not have a model number is just call MDTECHPLUS from Matco Tools. I have attached pictures. Let me know if they did not come thru. Thanks for your reply.

I still need help on this unit, the problem seems to be related to the power, a new regular nine volt does not supply enough power. I then tried a new 9 volt Energizer Advanced Lithium battery I get the display to sometimes work but the probes, dial and buttons don’t work.

When I boast the power to about 19 volts the display powers up, and the dial and buttons work, but the probes still don’t work.

Also I noticed that if I put the 9 volt Energizer Advanced Lithium battery after the 19 volt boost I get the display and sometimes the dial and buttons work.

A friend suggested I use a Duracell Procell nine volt battery, is there much of a difference between the 9 volt Energizer Advanced Lithium and Duracell Procell battery?

Any ideas on what to try next would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

19v you might have fried it.
From what you say it sounds like either the regulator for the micro has gone or the micro itself is fried.

There is a difference in batteries, my battery powered megger lights up and all but doesnt generate 1000v unless it has a decent 9v alkaline it it, I wouldnt have thought theres anything in yours that demands high current, or surges, at least not on the volts range.

Email the manufacturer if you can find the address, sometimes they are helpfull, sometimes not, maybe its a common problem.

Last edited:
This is a LONG shot, but believe it or not it CAN sometimes fix problems. Remove the battery and SHORT the battery contacts on the meter side for about 5 minutes.
The fix works for damaged reversibly by ESD.

I fixed an HP calculator and a bike computer that way.

I do suspect bigger problems. Look for protection devices that could have been fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back