Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calgaar

I have very little experience with designing or building circuits, so I'm looking for all the help I can get. I'm looking to design and construct a circuit to incorporate as part of an interactive puzzle. Its function is relatively simple, I just need it to be able to receive a signal, and light up and LED. There are a few more specifics and qualifiers, but that's the easiest way to explain it. What I would like is someone to inform me of what all components and materials will be necessary, and possibly recommend a place to get them, and then help me with a design of how everything will go together to accomplish my goal. If anyone is willing/able to help, or knows of elsewhere I can obtain this help, please let me know! Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

HI.

In general, ten lines of text is way to little information for a description of a project like that.

Eg, what type of communication do you intend it to be? Do you intend to let a computer control the game?

Yes, that was rather cryptic. First off, you say you need it to receive a signal to light up the LED. What type of signal are you thinking of? Wireless or wired? Analog or digital? Information like this would always be helpful.
Der Strom

I know the board says not to repost if your post doesn't show up immediately, but I waited about an hour and my response never showed up, so apologies if this does double post.

I'm creating this for a hobby/game called geocaching. This is where seekers with GPS devices solve puzzle and seek out "treasures", which is usually a small box with trinkets in it. In this particular case I'm designing my own puzzle. In it seekers will be told to seek it at night, and bring along a common TV remote (I'm considering providing the remote, since some are RF work differently). When they get to that location they have to aim the remote randomly until it lights up an LED (preferably a very bright visible one) So what I need to design is a device that has 1 or multiple IR receivers (multiple for increased sensitivity, and incase it's hit from an odd angle), that when they get a signal from a remote, will light up 1 or multiple LEDs. I know I will need receiver(s) and LED(s) and some sort of power supply, but not sure what other components I'll need or how to integrate this all together. I'm pretty sure I can work out a weatherproof housing to contain it all in, but I need some sort of design blueprint or schematic on how to put together such a device. Thanks again!

Hi. If you're doing this the easy way, you can use a common emitter amplifier circuit to amplify any changes in voltage over the IR receiver diode. The amplifier must be dc biased to match the overlaying dc on the IR receiver diode (if not just using a cap between).

The output of the receiver you can connect to base on another bjt, Q2.Q2 emitter is grounded and collector is connected to a led and diode in series that is connected to V+.

That's about the easiest way I can think of.

Tip: Use as big values for resistor as possible to prevent batteries quickly run empty.

You could use a basic comparator circuit. You could connect the IR receiver to one of the inputs and adjust it so that it is not triggered by ambient light. When the remote is pointed at it, it will "see" the increase in IR light and switch the output high. You could use this signal to trigger a 555 one-shot that would keep the LED on for a set amount of time.
Der Stom

You can just get a 3-pin IR receiver module from any TV or VCR, its runs from 5v and the output pin will turn on the LED whenever the remove control is pointing at it.

It should take very little skill to wire it up, you just need a 5v DC supply (or battery and 5v regulator) and the module, and a high brightness LED and resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back