Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help with 135 Watt Solar Panel Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking more of Didi from Dexter's Laboratory :D

Well, I hope that doesn't happen because in a 2 weeks the boss wants the place to be operational again.

Our cheap electricity is going to cost much more because one important nuclear generating station is down and we must buy very expensive electricity from United States. In the summer we have too much electricity and United States does not have enough so we pay them to take our surplus.

Our cheap electricity is going to cost much more because one important nuclear generating station is down and we must buy very expensive electricity from United States. In the summer we have too much electricity and United States does not have enough so we pay them to take our surplus.

I don't see a problem with Canada sending money to the USA.;) We have much the same thing happening in the PNW with excess power and negative pricing.
**broken link removed**

What kind of size generator to run a large house?

Well my average day in and day out rate is around 2 KW's an hour but as my utilities usage tracker shows my low points are under 300 watts an hour but my peaks can be over 20 KW's an hour.

Figure your monthly utility KWH usage divided by the number of hours in your billing cycle and then multiply that average number by 10 and that would likely be the upper end of what size of generator you would need for normal day in and day out operation.

With proper peak demand control I wold say that you might be able to get by with a genset that has as little as 2 - 3 times your average power consumption.

I know that if I absolutely have to I can run on as little as a 3000 watt genset but for reasonable emergency living without having to shut down my electric water heater, electric dryer, stove and well pump I can run just fine off my old 10 K unit. I just cant run my high load equipment in my shop though.

Given that if you have a fairly low average power usage and can isolate your high load equipment and have that only run at specific times you could run a dual gen set system with a much smaller unit for the continuous load applications and have second much larger unit you only start when needed for the times when you will be running high demand loads.

Well my average day in and day out rate is around 2 KW's an hour but as my utilities usage tracker shows my low points are under 300 watts an hour but my peaks can be over 20 KW's an hour.

Figure your monthly utility KWH usage divided by the number of hours in your billing cycle and then multiply that average number by 10 and that would likely be the upper end of what size of generator you would need for normal day in and day out operation.

With proper peak demand control I wold say that you might be able to get by with a genset that has as little as 2 - 3 times your average power consumption.

I know that if I absolutely have to I can run on as little as a 3000 watt genset but for reasonable emergency living without having to shut down my electric water heater, electric dryer, stove and well pump I can run just fine off my old 10 K unit. I just cant run my high load equipment in my shop though.

Given that if you have a fairly low average power usage and can isolate your high load equipment and have that only run at specific times you could run a dual gen set system with a much smaller unit for the continuous load applications and have second much larger unit you only start when needed for the times when you will be running high demand loads.
I am unlikely to be able to get two generators for a while, but its a good point. I am thinking going all out to get the big unit (they dont come around often at that price!) I am aware the turbo is likely shot on it but they are about the same as one of the large tractors we had, so I am sure I can get a new turbo for it pretty cheap.
I will then try and source a smaller generator for everyday use, we ave a 6KVA petrol one but that wont run half the house and cuts out with the lights on and the kettle going!
I want diesels purely because i now have access to huge amounts of fats.
Thanks for the ideas guys :D

I am unlikely to be able to get two generators for a while, but its a good point. I am thinking going all out to get the big unit (they dont come around often at that price!)

A friend of mine bought a LARGE diesel generator a few years ago, it was a two stroke diesel as I recall, and he bought it at auction from an American air-force base in the UK - he got it for a good price, and sold it for a nice profit :D

I seem to recall it was something like 300KW? - pretty big :p

Since no one is on subject anyway lets talk about this. TV News reported. Investigators say a camper trailer theft ring has been operating in Middle TN area for at least 2 years. About 30 camper trailers have been reported stolen from State Parks while owners are away. Several camper trailers have been stolen from peoples yard. Many of the trailers had anti theft hitch devices and some were attached to trees. Investigators think there are at least 2 people involved the lookout and a driver.

This threads sounds (looks?) like watching two TV channels and listening radio all at the same time. Entertaining.

The OP seems to have accepted his lack of success. Sorry.

This threads sounds (looks?) like watching two TV channels and listening radio all at the same time. Entertaining.

The OP seems to have accepted his lack of success. Sorry.

I don't know where you get that idea? I don't own a radio been almost deaf for 10 years, cant watch TV at all without an earphone in the right ear with base turned down low as it goes. I don't take a TV or radio camping either. I was hoping to use these for camping or at home it seems stupid to connect them to 1 light bulb in the work shop and free light all day. I don't get enough sun light with the door open in nice weather and don't get any sunlight in the winter with the door close so maybe the 1 light bulb idea is a good idea after all. I don't need AC to run a light bulb.

It wont work to hook them all to 1 electrical outlet on the work bench none of the hand tools run on 120 watts but a storage battery might solve the problem until it goes dead only problem this will be a total waste I don't go in the work shop much anymore and it will require a DC to AC inverter.

Maybe I can use the solar panels to create a roof over my wheel chair to keep the sun and rain off of me they might make a good canopy. Since those things are up there anyway maybe they can charge my battery at the same time. But what if I drive it to Walmart how will it get that thing through the door and drive it around inside the store. I bet they don't make enough power to push the wheel chair down hill. LOL

They don't make enough power to run my Tesla Coil or my capacitor bank. They wont run my welder or air compressor either. They wont even run my soldering gun without an inverter.

I was thinking maybe a tiny DC motor to power my hand crank pencil sharpener will work but wait I will get fat from lack of exercise if I don't have to turn the crank.

So what in the world are 9 solar panels good for? This guy has found the answer. Click the link.

handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back