Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help using a common power supply for two devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacdrag

I'm almost done with a project. Everything is wired up and in place except for the power. I want to power two amplifier modules from a single 12 V DC power supply. The amp boards have terminal block connectors for the power inputs. I bought some T Tap wire connectors and a crimping tool, but I'm having a hard time with this and want to solve the problem another solderless way.

Is there some kind of prefab small junction box with screw in connectors that work like this?

Connect the positive and negative leads from the power supply to a set of screw in connectors and then connect sets of wires from the amp boards to sets of corresponding screw connectors on the same device I connected the power supply wires to?

I want to finish this and need a simple solution.

Bump - This is exactly what I need, but it is too tall for my project box. Can somebody pls find me something similar but shorter, and perhaps smaller as well.

Lolok at Wago 221 connectors.

Lever action, no screwdriver needed.
They come in 2, 3 or 5 ways and are rated for up to 32 Amps, depending on the wire size.

Lolok at Wago 221 connectors.

Lever action, no screwdriver needed.
They come in 2, 3 or 5 ways and are rated for up to 32 Amps, depending on the wire size.
Same type I found - Also Pommie - these are what I found last night and forgot to link to:

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Wiring-Conductor-Terminal-Assortment/dp/B09TPPVMK5/ -
I like what I found because of the 2 to 6 configuration, so presumably on one side, I could put a positive wire on one red connector and a negative wire on one blue connector, and on the opposite side, connect two positive wires into two different red connectors and two negative wires into two different blue connectors.

The problem is that the what I found is too tall to fit into my project box. It would otherwise fit, but I'd still prefer smaller. I'm going to look around for more of these in smaller sizes, but if I can't find something with at least a two to four configuration, how can I match up 1 positive and one negative wire on one side with two positive and two negative wires on the other side?

Bumping my own thread again.

Can I accomplish what I want with a piece of two lever connectors and on one end connect both positive wires into one connector and both negative wires in the other? I'd rather not have to twist wires, but I'm assuming I could also connect the sets of positive and negative wire ends together at the stripped ends and handle matters that way with only two connectors.

Last edited:
As long as they are thin enough to twist together and fit properly into one terminal.

I'd strip them somewhat longer than the terminal info says, twist them with the insulation ends aligned, then trim any surplus wire back to get the correct bare wire length as marked on the side of the terminals.

(Just to be sure: That is, two separate two-chamber connectors - not one connector for both positive and negative; all chambers/positions are internally linked so things would get rather nasty!)

As long as they are thin enough to twist together and fit properly into one terminal.

I'd strip them somewhat longer than the terminal info says, twist them with the insulation ends aligned, then trim any surplus wire back to get the correct bare wire length as marked on the side of the terminals.

(Just to be sure: That is, two separate two-chamber connectors - not one connector for both positive and negative; all chambers/positions are internally linked so things would get rather nasty!)
Yes - both amp modules I'm using have one positive and one negative screw in connector each.
I'm going to Home Depot tonight to pick up a package of these lever connectors. I'll either wire it up tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it worked out.

I bought the wrong thing at Home Depot. I ended up buying this on Amazon:

I misread the description in my original link, as the packaging is too tall to fit in my project box, but the actual height of the connector will fit easily. In any event, my mistake worked out for the best, as I'll have 2+4, which is exactly what I need. The 2+6 would have been a waste of space.

Frustrating, as I wanted to finish the project tonight. This will have to wait a few days. If Amazon indeed delivers this on Sunday, I'll finish it then. If not, it will have to wait until Tuesday.

rjenkinsgb - The attached works - I tested it with some temporary wires. I'm caulking it to my project box now. After I redo that portion of the wiring and secure wiring and components with Velcro, my project will be finished.

Thanks for your help.

IMG_9540.JPG

Those things are awesome. I used a bunch of them to wire in USB power supplies and a voltmeter in the car. Quick installation and things are easy to change if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back