Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help understanding formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

meriad

IU was hoping you may be able to help me with the following formula:

LANT = 0.2 × Length × ln(Length/d - 1.6) × 10-9 × k
Where:
Length is the total antenna length in mm.
d is the trace width in mm.
k is a frequency correction factor.
LANT is the approximate antenna inductance in Henry's

This formula is taken from the following datasheet:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/03/micrf102.pdf

My question is: What does 'In' stand for?

There appears to be no explanation for that variable.

Thanks in Advance

ln (LN, pronounced lon) is the logarithmic function where the base is e. When ln is written, it implies base e. When log is written it implies base 10. Something like log2 or log5 (the # are subscript), it means the base is 2 or 5 respectively.

So if I understand you correctly

I punch this into the calculator , I would take

0.2 × Length × 10-9 × k then pres exp button and the sum of ln(Length/d - 1.6)

Yes. Have you not learned about logarithms yet? Or there just isn't a special notation for log base e where you are from?

EDIT: Just noticed you are from PEI! Well, I don't know if ln exists over there either. You never know.

Yes I've learned about logs, just it was about 15 years ago in Highschool, just wanted to make sure I remembered correctly....especially seeing as I couldn't find my 'log' bead on my abacus

THen upgrade to the slide-rule! 10x the processing power in a fraction of the space!

You can buy scientific calculators fairly cheaply nowadays, failing that just use the calculator on your PC - all modern operating systems come with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back