Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help to build long range IR transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna1

hey guys I'm trying to build a 38khz transmitter that works about 5m(at least) but its unsuccessful.currently I'm using this circuit. but it cant use more than 50cm. i have no idea how to increase rage.

**broken link removed**
equation is f=1/(0.8*R1*C1)
I have some NE555 and a 9V battery some transistors and couple of 0.1uf,0.01uf caps.can some one give me a circuit with higher range (at least 5m).
i know i have to give large current to IR led but i cant figure out a way to do that.

and i want some thing that will not eat 9v battery.
thanks

The value of R2 seems a bit large. I think your transistor is not turning on enough due to R2. Also R4 and d2 are just wasting current and are not needed.

I assume U1 is getting power as it is not shown.

R2 and D1 is for indication.
and can you suggest a value for R2?

You really don't need an indication, it is just bling. I have not looked at data sheet for your transistor but I would guess maybe a 1k or less resistor for R2.

You can experiment by dropping the value and see if range improves.

After fixing R2, reduce the duty cycle by putting a diode and resistor (in series) both in parallel with R1. That will give a shorter LED on cycle. I would try for an on duty of maybe 10%. Then after you tune the frequency back to the sweet spot you can increase LED on current by reducing R3.

You really don't need an indication, it is just bling. I have not looked at data sheet for your transistor but I would guess maybe a 1k or less resistor for R2.

You can experiment by dropping the value and see if range improves.
i'll chk,thanks

R3 is massively too big it wants to be at least only 10% of that, and preferably smaller - you really need 1A or so pulses through the IR LED.

You also don't want to feed it with continuous pulses, short bursts of pulses generated from a PIC are far better, and give a much longer range.

Check my IR PIC tutorial, it uses very few parts, and does 15m easily, as most IR remotes do.

Finally finished(i guess)

R3 is massively too big it wants to be at least only 10% of that, and preferably smaller - you really need 1A or so pulses through the IR LED.

You also don't want to feed it with continuous pulses, short bursts of pulses generated from a PIC are far better, and give a much longer range.

Check my IR PIC tutorial, it uses very few parts, and does 15m easily, as most IR remotes do.
well i was thinking using a pic for simple transmitter is a waste coz PICs are expensive here.:(
anyway i found a 555 circuit and it seems working (didn't had time to chk distance).
that means my project(remote fan controller) is finished.i used 12F675 in receiver and code is using 99% memory,so i had to remove few options).i probably i will be able to upload all details (description schematic source code etc, ) if i can finish documenting.(i guess there is a separate forum or something here to post projects:confused:)

thanks everyone for all of your help.:)

You might be better off to use a regular TV remote control as the transmitter, they output data in pulse streams (your IR detector probably won't like continous IR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back