Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help substituting a flyback transformer for a CRT monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzoomed

Now once a upon a time i would not even be interested in repairing such an old monitor.
But im getting into collecting and restoring vintage computers and want to keep an authentic monitor of the period working for my computers and this was a model i was trying to find for some time so was stoked to locate one, it was sold as working and indeed worked perfect when i got it home.

Unfortunatley after running for about an hour it started making an arcing sound and then no picture, i discovered the arcing came from the flyback transformer, these things were as common as mud once upon a time, but im hoping i can find a replacement or another transformer that i could substitute that is easier to find.

The make and model stamped on it is a Sampo FEA209 or the HR generic replacement was HR 46574, ive contacted them and they dont stock them anymore.

So any help in finding one that could replace it would be wonderful!

Seems ironic I know, but its worth it to me if i can get it working again, it was working perfectly until then. Using an LCD is just not the same on these classic computers :)

I will add a photo when i get a chance, as it may be able to help .

Last edited:
A1 surplus in Toronto has old CRT Monitors nearly stacked to the ceiling. Your only chance is to find a old monitor like the one you have, and try swapping out the existing Flyback,
EBay is chockablock full of Flybacks as well

A1 surplus in Toronto has old CRT Monitors nearly stacked to the ceiling. Your only chance is to find a old monitor like the one you have, and try swapping out the existing Flyback,
EBay is chockablock full of Flybacks as well
I have not found any flybacks the same on ebay, but will keep an eye out.

Does anyone know much about what to look for when substituting a flyback?
Ive spoken to people who have said its possible and have done many on video arcade machines.

I have fixed several arcade style monitors with non-standard random flybacks, I simply picked one the same size, using my voltmeter found the pins that seemed to match (in my case only 2 pins were connected) and off it went.
Maybe its a hell of a lot more complicated than that, and I got lucky. The gods sometimes take care of fools.

kimbear, I expect you know all this but it does not necessarily follow that an arking line output transformer is necessarily a fault with the transformer. Other components or dirt/grease can cause arking too.

Best to clean all parts associated with the EHT. You can even take the transformer out for a closer inspection/cleaning. The two general faults with line output transformers are shorted turns which give a distorted picture but, not necessarily arking, and open circuit turns which generally kills the picture, but not necessarily.

One dodge you can try, once the transformer has been removed and thoroughly cleaned, is to soak it in varnish for a few days.

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back