Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NEED HELP PLEASE!! new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

lena_boyd

Hi there everyone,
I'm new to this site!

I joined because I would love to expand my knowledge when it comes to electronics. :)

Here's my current project, which I would really appreciate any advice for:

I plan to create a flexible LED matrix using WS2812B addressable LED lights.

This is for a visor in a helmet, which will light up - I would love to be able to display words and patterns on the matrix, which would involve coding/finding a code - I would probably use a simple app on my phone through Bluetooth (I've seen videos where people have done this).
all I know is that it'll need a switch, I assume some sort of Bluetooth thing, something to upload the code to and a battery (but i don't know what voltage or anything).

Other than this I have no clue what other components I would need, how I would go about processing the code.

If anyone has any advice I would REALLY appreciate it! Thank you!!!:cool:

Welcome.
You may want to rethink using WS2812's as a reasonable resolution display (say 32x8) would need 256 of them. Each LED can take up to 60mA which will require about 15A at 3.5V (50W). That would flatten a (80Ah) car battery in ~20 hours. Maybe use a display such as this (the 4 digit one).

Mike.

None of the parts are a problem; you can even buy flexible panels of RGB programmable LEDS:
That is actually rated at 77 Watts at full brightness, so a fraction over 15A at 5V. At low brightness it would take rather less power.

A small MCU such as an Arduino or PIC to control them, plus something like an HC05 bluetooth module to communicate with it, and a big 5V buck converter.

And one of the many "moving message" programs such as this:

As Pommie says, the big problem is the amount of power needed. Even something like a big electric drill battery pack or RC flight pack, 18/20V 5AH would only run it for an hour or two with that type of power consumption.

Using conventional LEDs with a matrix drive would be far more power-efficient, though at the cost of it being a single-colour display.

You could use some MAX7219 LED drivers plus normal LEDs to duplicate something like these, but on a curved base, rather than the moulded LED modules; using high brightness LEDs that could be made very power efficient:
Each IC (or ready made PCB module) will drive an 8x8 array of LEDs:

And this is a bluetooth-linked moving message display project using those MAX7219-controlled LED arrays:

Or several small LCD panels would also work; eg. the common 1.44" 128x128 pixel ones take less power than a single Neopixel type LED.

None of the parts are a problem; you can even buy flexible panels of RGB programmable LEDS:
That is actually rated at 77 Watts at full brightness, so a fraction over 15A at 5V. At low brightness it would take rather less power.

A small MCU such as an Arduino or PIC to control them, plus something like an HC05 bluetooth module to communicate with it, and a big 5V buck converter.

And one of the many "moving message" programs such as this:

As Pommie says, the big problem is the amount of power needed. Even something like a big electric drill battery pack or RC flight pack, 18/20V 5AH would only run it for an hour or two with that type of power consumption.

Using conventional LEDs with a matrix drive would be far more power-efficient, though at the cost of it being a single-colour display.

You could use some MAX7219 LED drivers plus normal LEDs to duplicate something like these, but on a curved base, rather than the moulded LED modules; using high brightness LEDs that could be made very power efficient:
Each IC (or ready made PCB module) will drive an 8x8 array of LEDs:

And this is a bluetooth-linked moving message display project using those MAX7219-controlled LED arrays:

Or several small LCD panels would also work; eg. the common 1.44" 128x128 pixel ones take less power than a single Neopixel type LED.
thanks so much, this is really helpful!!:))

Welcome.
You may want to rethink using WS2812's as a reasonable resolution display (say 32x8) would need 256 of them. Each LED can take up to 60mA which will require about 15A at 3.5V (50W). That would flatten a (80Ah) car battery in ~20 hours. Maybe use a display such as this (the 4 digit one).

Mike.
ah right, I didn't realise this. thanks for letting me know:)

Now this is far more practical, though rather more expensive:

The flexible OLED HD displays appear to be readily available on Aliexpress, eg.

They take a full video display via HDMI, so video from any suitable video player or Raspberry Pi etc.

(There is also an 8" version, at around $1100...)

The 8x32 Max7219 displays can be cut into 4 separate units and wired together to give a pseudo curved display. If cost isn't a problem, I'd go with the OLED display.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back