Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help on home security project

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazytwism

hi
i am constructing a home surveillance cam project.
it consists of a series of sensors(leds,loop sensers and sound detectors) which are interfaced 2 a microcontroller(havent decided).depending on which sensor is triggerd the microcontroller makes a stepper motor which has a camera mounted no it turn in the direction of the sensor.
now my problems with this projects are
1)which microcontroller is best suited for the task(inexpensive and easy to program :) )?
2)how do u interface a stepper motor?
3)what is the rating of the stepper motor that shud be used?
4)as i am intendin on using a webcam how do u make the webcam record only when any of the sensor is triggered(iam not that fluent in software side)

pls help and any refinements wud be gladly welcomed
thanx

Well there's plenty of info about interfacing stepper motors and the like to be found here and around the web. The webcam aspect is not as difficult as you think, rummage around the TUCOWS website for a ready made program that will record images when the webcam detects movement in its field of view.

still lotsa problems

thanks for the tip
i am weak at assembly language programming ,i need some inputs as to how to interface microcontroller and the other peripherals namely stepper motor
i wud atleast need a circuit schematic of the whole thing befor i proceed
i am thinking of using AT89C51 but i heard that it has got only 3 interrupts and iam planning on usin four LED,phototransistor combination (i ve dropped the idea of using vibration sensors for windows and sound detectors )

also is there anyway to replace stepper motor with normal dc motor by say using an led phototransistor combination which detects when the cam has swung into a particular direction and stops the motor from running

pls help as this is my first electronic project and i dont have a clue as to convert my ideas into actual circuit schematics

thanx in advance
crazytwism

Re: still lotsa problems

crazytwism said:
thanks for the tip
i am weak at assembly language programming ,i need some inputs as to how to interface microcontroller and the other peripherals namely stepper motor
i wud atleast need a circuit schematic of the whole thing befor i proceed
i am thinking of using AT89C51 but i heard that it has got only 3 interrupts and iam planning on usin four LED,phototransistor combination (i ve dropped the idea of using vibration sensors for windows and sound detectors )

also is there anyway to replace stepper motor with normal dc motor by say using an led phototransistor combination which detects when the cam has swung into a particular direction and stops the motor from running

pls help as this is my first electronic project and i dont have a clue as to convert my ideas into actual circuit schematics

The easiest way is to use servo motors, standard radio control servos give absolute positioning, which neither steppers or DC motors do.

But in any case, stepper motors are VERY easy to drive, far easier than a DC motor with phototransistor sensors.

I don't see why you're concerned about interrupts?, the entire project doesn't sound like it requires any?.

As for your processor, if you're familiar and confident with the AT89C51, fair enough! - but if you're not familiar with any processors, the MicroChip PIC is the most popular hobbiest one - for many very good reasons!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back