Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help Making An Alarm System

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilo73

Hi, i just registured and hope to find my answers here. I want to build an alarm system. I dont know how because I dont know anything about making alarm systems. i want it to activate by either movement,light,sound,or when they pass a laser. I'm not sure which one would be best. I want to make them for my doors or windows.again not knowing how to start i would like some help from you guys. I would like a list of parts to buy and a good describtion to build. Most parts i would get would be from radio shack. Plz help because i'm only 14 years old and i would like to build this soon.PLZ HELP!

PS-i just registered and would like it if no one would be rude to my question or where i put it,thank you! :p

Wow, pretty ambitious project for a 14 year old with what sounds like not a lot of experience. There are a lot of things involved in making an alarm system. Most use a brain and a bunch of external sensors. Because you are just getting started and only have a Radio Shack to purchase from you might want to simplify your first project.

If you want my opinion get Cat# 28-278, it’s a kit for sensors. It’s not an alarm system but the knowledge you gain from the kit can be directly applied to building an alarm system.

You might also want to get some books on alarm systems from the library and see how they’re hooked up and try to replicate some of the stuff you see there on a smaller scale.

As far as what sensor is the best goes… well it depends more on the area it will cover and what you’re trying to detect. This kinda of stuff you’ll learn more about in books and develop in testing your projects.

Also, try not to limit yourself to Radio Shack, but it’s a great place to start!

Attachments

• alarm2.gif
    alarm2.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 734
well more ideas be great i forgot to mention that i live in a small town so radio shack is really all i got to buy parts. my dad said he would go and buy then help me build it, he's an electrician! but he dosent have like....the plans to make one.but thanks so far for the help i would like to see more though..... :D

i'm making a similar project at little wxperience and 15 years of age, i have allready started. The difference is that mine is a model house with a burglar alarm system.

I also have a simple sensor with only 3 parts!!!!!!, that is situated at the fronot door and senses some1 coming then sounds a doorbell.

also my actual alarm is activated by a keypad (which requires a bit of programming) and then has a 10 second delay before the in house sensors are activated.

once triggered by an intruder my alarm sounds and stops when the code is put into the keypad, but if code isnt aplied into the keypad the alarm will sound for 30 minutes!!!! (which is the legal limit of time)

i have this all controlled by 1 microcontroller.....28X i think.

if u have any questions dont hessitate to ask, i may hav been very confusing or vague.........

It's not parts you can get from Radio Shack, PIC 12F629

It's easy to wire up and not so easy to defeat.

It uses a microchip www.microchip.com PIC 12F629 processor and Dallas Semiconductor iButtons www.ibutton.com

I'm still working on the source code, and will post updates on my project site www.myblueroom.com as often as time permits. (Everyday at the moment)

Attachments

• owl_schematic.png
    owl_schematic.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 653
Here is a very simple circuit.

Attachments

• scralarm.gif
    scralarm.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 735
Here is a fairly Simple Proximity Detector on my site.
It Can also make a good alarm system.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back