Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help interpreting an old circuit diagram: Transistor and RF Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you mind showing the maths and explain the measurement sequence?
Do you mean this:
Derivation of Permittivity.jpeg

JimB

Do you mean this:

JimB

Exactly that JimB. Have to read that in detail to grasp the concept supporting the procedure. Thanks.

Found the subject very appealing. It moved me to read about Hartley, Colpitts and Clapp oscillators. I see this as a challenge to do something that works.
From other posts of yours, I gather that you are retired or semi-retired, like several others in this forum. Including me.

It is important for us to keep our brains functioning properly, and nothing is better than a good technical challenge.

To tell you the truth, this has also piqued my curiosity, and may also jump into building some old fashioned oscillators.

The colpitts seem to be much more stable.

From other posts of yours, I gather that you are retired or semi-retired, like several others in this forum. Including me.

It is important for us to keep our brains functioning properly, and nothing is better than a good technical challenge.

To tell you the truth, this has also piqued my curiosity, and may also jump into building some old fashioned oscillators.

My recent Colpitts is the first LC oscillator I've built in 50 years. The very first was for my AM xmtr in the 80 and 40 m band; say , zero experience. Surely mine has unknown flaws while the output is a not so bad sinusoid. :oops:

When you wind the air coil, stabilize it with hot glue or or epoxy once you tune the frequency. Or use the tunable inductors with the slug that can be turned with a non-magnetic screwdriver (diddle stick). A standard air coil will be easier to change the fluid or material to measure permittivity.

When you wind the air coil, stabilize it with hot glue or or epoxy once you tune the frequency. Or use the tunable inductors with the slug that can be turned with a non-magnetic screwdriver (diddle stick). A standard air coil will be easier to change the fluid or material to measure permittivity.

When I decided to build the Colpitts, three weeks ago, I recalled a small trove of coils and variable caps that I got also 50 years ago. They are four "plug and play" :facepalm: modules for 60 or 70yo Ericsson (or maybe GE) transmitters that I had the chance to see still in service in a radio station.

Huge wardrobes (on their wheels) you had to pull for plugging them to change the frequency band.

Ericsson or GE module.jpg

Your post also reminded me of some coils forms that should be around here with tuning slug. Have to look where are they.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back