Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help in troubleshooting non-working subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlielo

I have a Polk Audio DSW Pro 600 subwoofer that is currently blinking quickly between amber and green. For the first about 30 seconds or so, the LED light will be green then it flashes very quickly from amber to green light. I took the plate out of the subwoofer cabinet. I read other threads where they said it could be a fused issue but I couldn't find the fuse in here. Perhaps I don't know I'm looking for. Below is an image of the plate I took out. Any help is much appreciated.

DSWPro600-board.jpg

Polk audio support did not answer the flash sequence instead they asked me to tap the pin of the RCA cable to the ring and see if there is a thump sound from the subwoofer but there isn't.

That's ridiculous! Seems like you were unfortunate to speak to a very novice Tech support person.

Try calling them again or emailing them.

That's ridiculous! Seems like you were unfortunate to speak to a very novice Tech support person.

Try calling them again or emailing them.

I think you're expecting far too much of customer support in recent years (decades?) - it would be pretty rare these days for a member of the public to even speak to technical support, if there's even any such department these days?.

I expect he spoke to customer support - who will be completely non-technical, and if they offer any sort of 'technical' advice at all it will simply be reading off an 'idiot chart'.

I read other threads where they said it could be a fused issue but I couldn't find the fuse in here. Perhaps I don't know I'm looking for.

4832-DSWb.jpg

If it's this device then the fuse is inside that black AC plug. You can easily take it out with a screwdriver. But if the fuse were faulty, the device wouldn't even turn on I mean the LED wouldn't even blink as you said. Feel free to check it. Good luck

PS: How old is the subwoofer? When did you buy it? (Warranty period?)

And could you check that diode with a multimeter? It looks burnt to me:
2020-12-15 07_45_27-Window.png

In most cases the LEDs blink (normally red) because the device goes into protect mode which tells you that something is broken on the board.

Last edited:
yeah that diode is marked TVS1 on the board, and it's in the standby supply... that definitely could be part of the problem...

Thank you so much for all the help. I've reached out to the Polk Audio and they have me disconnect the speaker and connect it to my receiver with speaker wire. The speaker does work so they said it's the amplifier plate and to replace that, it'll cost me around $280. The subwoofer is about 10 years old. For that much money I could get a new one but if I can get this to work without spending that much cash, it'll help me a lot. SimpleGuy, I will definitely checkout that diode.

Again, thank you all.

A clearer pic of the amplifier without bits of foam in the way might help too :)
the bits of foam are glued to the power and speaker cables.... this is common on powered speakers to keep the wires from rattling up against things.... and it looks like the wires covered in foam are soldered in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back