Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nichrome and Tungsten are PTC resistors much more than Copper. Note this helps limit motor max current due to DCR of coil when starting or end-stop.

Nichrome and Tungsten are PTC resistors much more than Copper. Note this helps limit motor max current due to DCR of coil when starting or end-stop.
Is it Constantan, or similar name, that has a constant resistance with temperature. I used to have an ancient reel of the stuff, rescued from scrap, that was dead handy for making power resistors, including variable resistors, for battery chargers, power supplies, and transistor power amplifiers.

spec

There will be a potentiometer that provides feedback of the steering direction.

As I mentioned in post #16, the 'resistor' he posted a picture of looks like it could well be that 'potentiometer' - it looks like it's designed to have a contact slide along it.

As you say, more (and better) pictures would be helpful.

I have a 60s scalextrix with steering, its similar to what nige said, only it has just one motor, the polarity to the track is reversed to change the steering from left to right.
There is a rack assembly that controls this, and a dual clutch assembly that drives the car forward independent of the motor direction.

Is it Constantan, or similar name, that has a constant resistance with temperature. I used to have an ancient reel of the stuff, rescued from scrap, that was dead handy for making power resistors, including variable resistors, for battery chargers, power supplies, and transistor power amplifiers.

spec
yes ,
Constantan and Lead are NP0, but NiChome only P400 and Copper, P3860 almost as high as Tungsten , P4500.
So these cars had servo feedback control?

So these cars had servo feedback control?

We don't know, as he's not posted any pictures - but the resistor he posted looks unlike a normal resistor, and more like the resistive part of a high wattage potentiometer.

As I said previously, such crude servo systems were normal back in the 'old days' before modern electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back