Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying motor type

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am repairing a 98-II-B Heating mantle with stirrer and need to know what type of motor I'm dealing with here so I can get the appropriate driver for it.its also clearly marked positive and negative so its polarity is important.
I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here the first driver I bought I'm pretty sure is faulty but maybe it wasn't.either way when it was wired up correctly it didn't work.i think it's the driver.the motor works when directly connected to a 12v DC
300 ma power pack. Originally the voltage it ran off was about that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190904-014642.png
    Screenshot_20190904-014642.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 127
When I hooked a 500k potentiometer in between the charger and motor it was a fine line between the motor starting and stopping.it struggled to start then was sluggish to keep going when I adjusted the pot to slow it down.then it burnt out.i don't have access to the shaft either

They have a built in adjustable electronic speed control. They are a common type of motor avalable in different voltages & rotational directions.
MOTOR VAR SPEED 12V.JPG

Its definitly a brush type motor. Are there any makings on the motor?

Last edited:
It was originally powered by about 12v 300mA.
And I have a 12v 300mA power charger. Or should I use a 12v 500ma bcoz it will lose some current going through the driver?

The PWM controler should work, provided that the motor doesnt have a speed controler built in it.

What do I need to drive an inbuilt speed controller all I need to do is make the motor work and be able to adjust it using a dial(potentiometer)

What do I need to drive an inbuilt speed controller all I need to do is make the motor work and be able to adjust it using a dial(potentiometer)

Remove the internal preset resistor, and replace it with an external potentiometer of the same value connected via wires - you can run the wires out through the existing adjustment hole, drilling it out larger if needed.

You can't control it with an external speed controller unless you remove the internal one first, and why bother when you can easily use it.

Ok I've got it open now but the green circuit board isn't removable without breaking something.what are my options now? Does anyone have experience in opening these things up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190905-191544.png
    Screenshot_20190905-191544.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 128
The picture isn't very clear, but you need to unsolder the board from the rear of the motor - there will be at least two tags from the motor, and may be more if it has feedback.

Picture of where the motor connections are, they dont have seperate feed back. The controler uses the motor back EMF.
M4.JPG
M3.JPG
M8.JPG

I couldn't see any thing thru the hole in the circuit board.no slot for a screwdriver that a variable resistor would have.and the motor was originally controlled by a board that also controlled the heating so it couldn't of had an inbuilt electronic speedcontrol bcoz according to the posts above the only way to drive an esc motor is to have a potentiometer soldered in to where the variable resistor is.any way I unsoldered the board and just like I suspected when I couldn't see any components thru the adjustment hole there was nothing on the board.pictures are of the board and the other side.i can see there's copper windings in a triangle shape around the shaft but I can't see it clearly bcoz there's a clear but foggy grey plastic covering it.is it a brushed(simple fix right) or brushless (harder)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190906-215842.png
    Screenshot_20190906-215842.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot_20190906-215831.png
    Screenshot_20190906-215831.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 117
What do I need now? Will a cheap $5 motor control governor be fine to work this? Just need to know so I don't order an incompatible one and waste a week waiting for it to arrive

**broken link removed** This one you had in a previous post should be ok to use. Its just a brush type motor like the ones i posted with out the in built control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back