Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying component (Photo attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alimjr03

Hello.

I'm a schoolboy. My Dad has challenged me into inventing something with a particular component. His only hint was that its maximum voltage is 3.2V. Trouble is, I don't even know what the item is. I've tried googling images of electronic components but can't find the answer. If you could help me at least identify the component, I'll be able to work from there. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Er 003.jpg
    Er 003.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 367
Dear Mr. Goodwin, I didn't know what to call it, so I labelled it "component". Anyway, thank you so much for helping me out! I'll start researching LEDs now. Best wishes.

Dear Mr. Goodwin, I didn't know what to call it, so I labelled it "component". Anyway, thank you so much for helping me out! I'll start researching LEDs now. Best wishes.

Look at this link.
smd led image - Google Search

Dont forget to have a suitable value resistor in series with the LED's

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Goodwin, I didn't know what to call it, so I labelled it "component".
In electronics, "component" generally refers to individual parts such as a resistor, capacitor, diode, transistor, IC, etc. If it's assembled from more than one component, then it's called an assembly, module, CCA (circuit card assembly), etc.

I'm curious as to why there seems to be three pins per each LED; unless that third pin goes "nowhere" (it doesn't seem to be a via to the backside, but without having a pic of the backside)...?

Back view of LED

There's nothing on the back of the LED. However, as there's been a query, I'm attaching a photo of the flip side.

Attachments

• Er 004.jpg
    Er 004.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 287
There's nothing on the back of the LED. However, as there's been a query, I'm attaching a photo of the flip side.

Strange - I guess that's just how they (whoever "they" are) manufactured it! I wonder what it was originally a part of...

Perhaps the manufacturer fills in all the edge connector strips, whether used or not, for uniform insertion/removal forces and contact wear. I've seen that on PCBs in card cages.

Ken

I'm curious as to why there seems to be three pins per each LED; unless that third pin goes "nowhere" (it doesn't seem to be a via to the backside, but without having a pic of the backside)...?

If it was a dual LED, half red, half green, the third lead would be for the other color. IMHO
Kinarfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back