Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help identifying and connecting a cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunk

Hi all! I recently received a cheap LCD character module for tests via breadboard and microcontroller. However, I'm not sure exactly what the attached ribbon cable is called or how to attach it. It's about 16mm wide and .3mm thick (very thin and flexible), 16 lines at a 1mm pitch. It's stripped, soldered and hot-glued to the module on one end, and the loose end has one face exposed.

You can see pictures (as well as I could do with the difficult subject) here:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

The writing on the front of the cable reads:

Code:
AWM 20624 80C 60V VW-1      E229188

... and for the little it's worth, the sticker on the back:

Code:
104180.1-08-04-09
NHD-02161Z-FSY-YBW
Newhaven Display

Now, 1mm is too tight for me to solder, so I started looking for some sort of breadboard connector, ideally something like this:

**broken link removed**

First off, does anyone know what kind of a cable this is? My best guess from my research is that it's an "FFC/FPC" ("Flat Flexible Cable/F??? P??? Cable"), but I can't say for sure. Secondly - does anyone know where I could get something like my ideal connector, or if it even exists? I've spend a lot of time Googling, looking through catalogs and datasheets from Mouser and individual suppliers, etc., and it's very frustrating for (at least) the following reasons:

* I don't know if the connector at the breadboard end has its own name, or if I just have to search for 2.54mm or .1" and hope for the best;
* a staggered 2mm connector seems to be much more common than an inline or square 2.54mm connector, even for thru-hole types;
* manufacturers never (so far) have both "1mm" and "2.54mm" (or .039" and .1") in the description for a given FFC/FPC connector, which makes me think I've misidentified the cable or am otherwise barking up the wrong tree.

So, I'll keep searching, but if anyone has any ideas that could help me narrow things down, I'd really appreciate it.

Hi,

The display code you give is listed in Mouser and it points to this pdf-
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/NHD-02161Z-FSY-YBW.pdf

You are right that its a FPC type cable - so you can buy a suitable connector - though many of them are surface mount types.

Do not try soldering that cable - many of them just melt completely at the first hint of any heat.

If it was me, I would simply remove that cable, the original 0.1" holes on the pcb are made for the more standard connectors or a handwired cable.

The data sheet shows the standard HD44780 LCD pinout so you should find it will work with most standard lcd software.

Hi, richard.c--

Thanks for the information!

Well, at this point I'm pretty convinced that simple FPC-to-breadboard connectors are pretty rare. I guess it's because FFC/FPC is made primarily for board-to-board connection, not to mention maybe some hobbyist-unfriendly market protectionism. ;)

the original 0.1" holes on the pcb are made for the more standard connectors or a handwired cable

If you mean the holes at the LCD end - unfortunately, they're soldered at a 1mm pitch too, so it's looking like I'm going to be trying to do tight soldering in any scenario. I think something like this will let me screw up without ruining the LCD:

**broken link removed**

... then either to a ribbon cable, or to this breakout board:

http://www.batchpcb.com/product_info.php?products_id=13768&check=492b3b76c35e2a489b8006614c0b243e

Fun stuff! Though a lot more work than the right connector - seems like a lucrative niche market for *someone* big to make them. Oh well...

Hi,

Yes, those FPC connectors are primarily board to board connectors, nearly all are SMD types as well.

I've have some soldering experience and have managed to make a little pcb and solder on a 8 way 1mm FPC connector - but it made me sweat !

If you only have limited soldering skills I think you would be wise to give it a miss, unless you have a buddy who can solder it for you.

Even if you can solder it, is it going to be cost effective - you would be wise to buy two connectors incase you damange one, plus FEC carriage, and then you might have to buy a fine tip or for your iron.
Once you have done all of that you will find that the short lead it comes with really restricts things, and unless everything is fastened down well it will be easy to rip the ribbon connection.

IMHO suggest you put it to one side and buy a new lcd with the more popular 0.1" pcb holes - either the 16 way straight pin or 16 way IDC header types - they are so cheap and available everywhere.

good luck.

IMHO suggest you put it to one side and buy a new lcd with the more popular 0.1" pcb holes - either the 16 way straight pin or 16 way IDC header types - they are so cheap and available everywhere.

good luck.

I'm taking your advice on this. I'll try to solder that connector at some point, just for the challenge and experience, but with no high expectations. I'm 99% "just learning" at this point, so even a total failure is cost-effective in its own way.

In any event, it's been a great reminder to mind the connectors when buying parts.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back