Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying a connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighand

I need some help identifying a connector. It's a rectangular 8-way (2 rows of 4). It look a bit like an IDC connector, except the pin spacing in .125" rather than .100", and it has two orientation keys instead of one central key.

bf2PxSi.jpg

YqX5AgO.jpg

b9yUL5u.jpg

It does look like a car part. The automotive industries likes to make there connector slightly different from consumer connectors.

That's why I asked. Some are available and some are not and they give different places to look, It might be that one polarization is easy to obtain, bit others are not.

It is yes. It's the IR central locking receiver from my Peugeot. It's located in a place that makes it susceptible to water damage, and since new receivers are no longer available I was looking into making a small batch of replacements for some people in an owner's club.

This is a compatible variant of the connector from another model if it helps anyone identify it:

UKkpOiO.jpg

I major supplier of connectors is Delphi. So, check here: **broken link removed**

In many cases, the minimums will be extremely high.

What I would suggest doing is to purchase a pencil sandblasting system: e.g. **broken link removed**

And clean up the contacts.

Then I would electroplate Nickel, then gold. See: https://www.caswellplating.com/ There is an electro-less gold but many contain cyanide and might not be available to you.

I purchased wafer probing needles for work and suddenly they started falling apart. The manufacturer changed from brazing to soldering. They were able to change the solder type for me, but they still had an issue, At high temperatures they would corrode. They would not plate the probes because of contamination of their bath from the solder, so I had to boil the probes in baking soda and electroless plate them. Where I worked, we did a lot of evaporating of nickel and sputtering of molybdenum and used to do a fair bit of gold. I had to special order gold plated pin contacts because of the corrosion, This required a 300 pc minimum.

Use a decent dielectric grease in the connector.

You might do better removing the connector and plating it together. You might have to remove the conformal coating if it has one and re-apply.

Your owner's club might be able to help you participate in a group buy for the materials.

I don't see an easy way out, but the one I just outlined will work. I'd suggest practicing on one or any pin connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back