Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help finding replacement relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jti306

As the title says I'm looking for a replacement relay for an auto application....12V system....It is used on a HELLA cruise control PCB

The relay can 5 or 6 pin....there is a place for a 6th pin that terminates at the board, i'll either cut off the extra pin or drill and solder it into place...it is not functional on the board

Form 1 C

SPDT

Here are some pics..

The distance between each of the three pins is approximately 6/32 in....
The distance between the two pins is approximately 4/32 in...
The distance between the the outer most pin in 2 pin group and the upper most pin in three pin group is approximately16/32 in..
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

It looks like a conventional SPDT heavy current relay. If you can't find an exact replacement, or one with the same pin arrangement and spacing, do you have room to fit a substitute one off-board (or even upside down) and run wires to the board tracks ?

I have found something that might work, but I'll have to make a jumper to supply the "pin 6" with power as well as drill a hole on the board to accept the pin...the other problem is I only need one for testing, but the places I found selling them have min order of around $50....AZ975-1C-12 manufactured by American Zettler may work...Their is a spot to do this and it terminates itself meaning on the reverse side of the board it routes to nothing....I have found many relays that have the pin arrangement I need but they are all reverse and I cannot mount it on the bottom of the board due to space constraints....I can use an external 12V general auto relay but I was trying to find a "cleaner" substitute since I want to start rebuilding these modules to earn some extra cash...The relays installed on the boards are notorious for failing, 90% of these modules fail because of this, and the soldered joints fail as well due to minor temp changes producing cold joints....Very bad design and poor quality control....

Last edited:
If you have enough space vertically (an extra 1/4" or so?) perhaps you could make a small adapter pcb to take a suitably rated alternative relay with a different pin-out.

Is there room on the project case to install a feed-through and connect an external similar relay? I've seen relays like that used on GM dashboards for cruise control.
Does the relay case identify the model, pinout and ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back