Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help determining Cap value

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpjkw

Need help determining value of a blown cap. has a 160 57 on it but those don't seem to match any standard caps.
20190123_180912.jpg
Thanks in advance

Thanks for helping. I was getting nowhere and hoping someone smarter than me could help
It was on a power converter. 120 AC to 300 DC (yes DC)
I would think the minimum multiplier would have to be 1 (xx * 0 = 0), that why the 160 didn't make sense.

I would think the minimum multiplier would have to be 1 (xx * 0 = 0), that why the 160 didn't make sense.

As suggested, it could be either 16pF or 160pF, there seems little in the way of a standard marking for them.

I'm presuming your supply is a switch-mode one?, and these commonly have a high voltage capacitor across the across the primary (as part of a snubber network) and they often go S/C, as easily spotted by a crack in them, or a burnt hole.

Assuming that's what it's doing, 160pF sounds more likely, and it needs to be at least 2000V rated - such capacitors tend to be hard to find, they used to be quite common in televisons (where they also failed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back