Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help controlling an LED matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin98TransAm

Hey guys, me again. Thanks for the help on my previous questions, now I"ve got another.

I want to controll a 7x23 Segment LED matrix. I need to be able to have the matrix perform 1 of at least 3 "Programs" depending on a triggered voltage. like, if input 1 sees 12 volts to do one thing, if input 2 sees 12 volts do another thing and so on... My questions are, What is the easiest controller to use, how do you program the controller, how do you "switch" between programs, can a controller control brightness of the led? That's all I can think of at the moment, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Justin

it depends how you want to control the LEDs

i would use a PIC, thhis would do all the functions you need.
however you would need to buy the programer for this as well.
i recomend the "microchip PIckit1 flash starter kit" you can then program the PIC using MPlab software (this is free)

you would need to know basic programing code but its fairly easy to get to grips with. if you need any more help just ask

Misterbenn said:
i recomend the "microchip PIckit1 flash starter kit" you can then program the PIC using MPlab software (this is free)

The PICKit1 is a nice little programmer, but unfortunately only programs a VERY limited number of PIC's - any of the David Tait inspired programmers (such as the P16PRO40) will program a vastly greater range of devices, and cost even less!.

All will load the .HEX files created by MPASM/MPLAB.

cool, so where's a good place to get ahold of this hardware? And which would you actually suggest I have no way of knowing what to choose. As far as how I want to control the LEDs, I'm not sure of that either. this is my basic plan

**broken link removed**

The PICKit1 is a nice little programmer, but unfortunately only programs a VERY limited number of PIC's
i agree, i'm afraid i dont have much experiance with PICs though so i cant say what the other type that was recomended is like.

The Pickit does only program a small number of PIC, (max 14pin).
but its a nice little programer if your just starting off. you might want to look at the other one first tho. after all i've only just finished A2, so i'm sure Nigel Goodwin wins in the experiance stakes.

to control the LEDs people generaly use a 'flashing' method (i'm sure it has a tecnical name but it amounts to the same thing). basicly to reduce the amount of output pins you need you treat the matrix like a map.
you select column 'X' and row 'Y' and LED at (X,Y) will light up. this is done so fast that you never notice that the LEDs are flashing. to decrease or increase the brightness you decrease or increase the flash rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back