Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help choosing Dc power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrel

Hello
I am hobby person not a technician person.
Need advice in choosing a variable bench DC power supply that is 0-30 dc voltage and 0-3amp.
I notice there is linear and switching type bench DC power supply.
Since i am hobby person i might use the power supply for all different kind of project,example i might use to test a DC motor or test a LED or what ever need a Dc voltage.
So question is which kind of bench dc power supply would i need Linear or switching power supply.
Thank for the help mrel

Linear is easier. And very reliable. If you go Switched Mode, you are in the realm of complicated design...
You also need reliable SMPS PSU designers on your side to help......Otherwise all blows up....

So for your application @ 0 to 30 VDC can be accomplished with standard off the shelf parts. LM317T comes to mind...

Outboard pass transistors coupled to the regulator will do the job as far as current goes.

Any thoughts Nigel????

Cheers,
TV Tech

Last edited:
Linear is easier. And very reliable. If you go Switched Mode, you are in the realm of complicated design...
You also need reliable SMPS PSU designers on your side to help......Otherwise all blows up....

So for your application @ 0 to 30 VDC can be accomplished with standard off the shelf parts. LM317T comes to mind...

Outboard pass transistors coupled to the regulator will do the job as far as current goes.

Any thoughts Nigel????

Linear every time! :D

A 723 based supply, with perhaps a 2N3773 transistor should do the job.

Hello
I am hobby person not a technician person.
Need advice in choosing a variable bench DC power supply that is 0-30 dc voltage and 0-3amp.
I notice there is linear and switching type bench DC power supply.
Since i am hobby person i might use the power supply for all different kind of project,example i might use to test a DC motor or test a LED or what ever need a Dc voltage.
So question is which kind of bench dc power supply would i need Linear or switching power supply.
Thank for the help mrel
Buying or building?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Nigal Goodwin
You mention 723 and 2n3773 transistor what does this mean ,are you saying that I should be looking a power supply that had those 723 and 2n3773 trasistor in there circuit?
mrel

The LM317T is only good for 1.5A, I believe.

A power supply is a good investment. One choice you have is CC or Constant Current and CV for constant voltage and Current Limiting.

Current Limiting is not as precise as a CC/CV supply. Meters for current and voltage simultaneously would be preferred.

If your dealing with Op-Amp, A Dual Supply would also be a good choice.

And Either way, LINEAR with both Voltage and Current Controls.

Hi Mrel,

yes I think Nigel and tvtech both misunderstood your query
you are wanting to buy rather than build in which case switchmode is definately the way to go. Higher efficiency, and much much less weight and usually smaller case size

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back