Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help choosing a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTech

Years ago there was a guy that made these tingle toys. They operate off a 9V battery and deliver anywhere from a mild tingle to a pretty good shock, depending on the "Intensity" knob. The frequency of the DC pulse is also adjustable depending on the "Speed" knob. This guy is no longer around, but I want to make a couple more of these toys.

I have the whole thing drawn out and I've identified all the components except for the transformer. It's an ecapsulated PCB mounted transformer with no markings at all. All I know about it is the DC resistance values for the primary and secondary. The primary is 18.4 ohms with a center tap, the secondary is 3.2k ohms.

Here's a quick sketch of the circuit:

**broken link removed**

The square wave is generated by a standard 555 circuit, then fed into a hex inverter chip, then to the transistors. It is low voltage and only serves to switch the transistors. The 9V supply comes in on the center tap. I really have no way to accurately measure the output voltage or amperage without a scope. With a multimeter on the DC setting it reads about 1.5V @ -76mA, but I don't think that means much in this case.

The transformer itself looks like this:

**broken link removed**

Could this be just a standard 12.6VAC transformer wired up "backwards"?? Any suggestions on where I can order one for PCB mount (part numbers, URLs)??

Dave

A 120:12.6VAC transformer wired backwards would work ok. You could even try an impedance matching(audio) transformer. They are usually in every junk radio you find. I always test these things on my friends.

lavenatti said:
I always test these things on my friends.

That's a nice way to do it! :D

I picked up a Radio Shack 12.6VAC transformer today. Think I'll just wire it up in place of the original and see what happens.

In looking through old posts here, I found this to be a common topic. Everyone is looking for 200k to 1k transformers mentioned in an article about building a stun gun, but nobody can seem to find them anymore. So, I'm glad I'm not the only one searching anyway... ;)

Dave

The Radio Shack 12.6V transformer does deliver a tingle, but it's weak. Very weak when compared to the original transformer. Back to searching for a powerful, high ratio, PCB mounted unit... :(

Dave

Seems to me that I purchased a Radio Shack 8 ohm to 1000 ohm audio transformer not so long ago. The turns ratio would be about 10 times greater than the 12 transformer. Current handling is extremely limited. As suggested - transformers like that can be found in older transistor radios - also tube type.

Remember you are only multiplying the voltage about 10 times with the 12.6V transformer. A 120VAC:6VAC would double that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back