Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help amplifying audio output to run a few LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnathon007

Im trying to add some LEDs to my stereos speakers and im not sure where to start. I know i need to amplifiy the signal to a usable range for the LED's and i want to be able to adjust the brightness and this is where my problems start. I have basic electronic skills but just dont have the knowledge that comes with time i guess. I just want an amplifier that can run 9 leds in parallel to make them light with the sound intencity. They light a little with the normal output but not enough to see them well so i know its possible to make them brighter just not how to do it. Sorry for making this so long ;)

Im trying to add some LEDs to my stereos speakers and im not sure where to start. I know i need to amplifiy the signal to a usable range for the LED's and i want to be able to adjust the brightness and this is where my problems start. I have basic electronic skills but just dont have the knowledge that comes with time i guess. I just want an amplifier that can run 9 leds in parallel to make them light with the sound intencity. They light a little with the normal output but not enough to see them well so i know its possible to make them brighter just not how to do it. Sorry for making this so long ;)

hi,
Get the data sheet for the LM3915, its designed to do just that

Datasheet Archive - Free Datasheet Search Engine - PDF Datasheets - Data Sheet - Datasheet - Application Note - Free Texas Instruments Samples

I was thinking more like all 9 flashing at once and if possible with less components. Is there any way to just raise the output voltage/amperage of the signal to a useable range ?
EDIT> i tried this a while back with an LM3914 [seems almost the same] and either only a few lights came on or they would all stay on solid, and im looking for high activity.
EDIT#2> ive done a little more research and it looks like im thinking of useing something like an op-amp circuit but i dont really know which one or a good way to find one. [working with $5 budget and some old crappy electronics ;)]
EDIT#3> i found an LM3915 in my junk pile :) and im windering how well it would work to put my LED array on 1 output like lets say the third or fourth and put it on bar mode would it still work ?
EDIT#4> SUCCESS :) I used a variation of this https://www.danielandrade.net/2005/12/06/howto-blinking-leds/ and added a darlington pair to my input and it works great :) if i get time to make my new circuit diagram i will try and post it .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back