Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need hellp with volume on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogosjan

Hello,
It just came to my knowledge of this site, so this is my first post. I have small problem with my Phillips 37" television. For explaining a problem in short, I cant turn volume down from maximum.
Complete ID of TV is:

PHILIPS 37KV1232/22B
PM 009007 006145
220V- 50Hz 42W
VHF+U+UHF

This is back side writings from label.
When you try to lover volume with remote control or with button on TV it self, bar on tv screen indicates that volume is lovering, but actual sound is not lovering. Remote control lite (on TV) is flashing which indicates that signal from remote is being received.
For now my only solution was either to send it to repair which will cost me about same as to by new TV, or to have TV "screaming" all day:mad:.
My idea for now works like this: I have "cut" speakers cables and wire them on female stereo jack. I put small PC active speakers with potentiometer which gives me some degree of volume control. Just to say on speakers cant turn volume to mute even if potentiometer is blocked on minimum.

This is my problem and my solutions so far. Help me out with this. My idea was to put some kind (but I don't know value or model) resistor on line from amplifier (its really old and cant read marks on chip) to speakers to reduce in half output signal which will ultimately solve my problem with external speakers.

I rate you should check for a blown component, typically a transistor, and replace it. trace the output to the speakers, then check for the transistor

Thanks for all replays. I will try to find out if any of those will work for me. I want to say one more time that TV is receiving and executing volume control both on TV and on remote control, but the lvl of sound remains same. Indicator on TV is showing reduction to minimum level, but the sound is too loud. If I try to turn volume up sound output is growing, becoming louder.

What do you think about that?

Without schematic, impossible to define problem. Most consumer electronics are heavily integrated which means there is an audio processing IC in there getting a signal level from another IC. I would guess the symptoms indicate:

1) The "receiver" IC and processing is working, that IC puts up the on screen volume bar.

2) The analog IC that actually controls the audio level based on the signal from the receiver electronics is not working correctly.

3) The audio power IC that drives the speaker is working correctly.

EDIT: make sure the TV is not set to a "full out" mode for volume. My SONY has such a thing for cases where you connect it to a stereo system and you will use that system's volume control. When set that way, it outputs full level audio regardless of volume control.

Last edited:
Hello,
It just came to my knowledge of this site, so this is my first post. I have small problem with my Phillips 37" television. For explaining a problem in short, I cant turn volume down from maximum.
Complete ID of TV is:

PHILIPS 37KV1232/22B
PM 009007 006145
220V- 50Hz 42W
VHF+U+UHF

This is back side writings from label.
When you try to lover volume with remote control or with button on TV it self, bar on tv screen indicates that volume is lovering, but actual sound is not lovering. Remote control lite (on TV) is flashing which indicates that signal from remote is being received.
For now my only solution was either to send it to repair which will cost me about same as to by new TV, or to have TV "screaming" all day:mad:.
My idea for now works like this: I have "cut" speakers cables and wire them on female stereo jack. I put small PC active speakers with potentiometer which gives me some degree of volume control. Just to say on speakers cant turn volume to mute even if potentiometer is blocked on minimum.

This is my problem and my solutions so far. Help me out with this. My idea was to put some kind (but I don't know value or model) resistor on line from amplifier (its really old and cant read marks on chip) to speakers to reduce in half output signal which will ultimately solve my problem with external speakers.

Your Microprocessor on the TV is probably poked. And it is probably obsolete by now. Here is how to get around this problem if you can live with a manual volume control...in other words...you have to physically drill a hole in the front of your TV and mount a normal Potentiometer.....No remote control from sound anymore...but at least you can lower the volume...

Step one: Locate the sets audio I.C.
Step two: Find the Input to the audio I.C.
Step three: Go and buy a 10K Pot (potentiometer), (the one you are going to drill a hole for on the front cover).
Step four: Your new Pot has three legs/tabs sticking out. Take one of the end legs (outer) and solder it to the Tuner earth with a piece of wire...long enough to be able to reach where you want to mount your new volume control on the front of your TV.
Step five: Take another long enough piece of wire and solder it to the other end leg/tab of the volume control.
Step six: Take this wire and solder it to ...

You know what, this simple procedure is SO HARD for me to explain on the NET or a forum. I have to type lots of words here whereas if the set was in front of me, and the person I was trying to help was next to me, this would have been understood and done in no time.

Not much of a teacher am I.

Cheers,
tvtech

To the person that Repped me with my incomplete post above....all I can say is thank you very much. You never left your name....so I don't know how to thank you. What makes me very happy is that you understand just how difficult it is to give reliable info on the NET.

And give step for step instructions for something so simple as a POT in the right place. I have some thinking to do to complete my post above.

I know it works..done it many times and saved customers buying a new TV because the old one had flat out sound issues.

Best regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
We have external speakers on our TV, that incude a subwoofer. They are connected to the TV's optical output. The TV volume is turned to minimum and the volume is adjusted on the remote for the external speakers.

If bogosjan bought some similar speakers, all he would then need to do is to disconnect the speakers inside the TV completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back