Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need an an instrument audio pick circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
I am looking to build a decent quality stereo pickup with balanced xlr out signals. Phantom power if possible.

Can anyone suggest a circuit or which capsules are decent. I am told that film caps are the way to go as opposed to electrolytic etc.

Would an electret based system be ok?I have a few of those although the quality is unknown.

Are their wireless multchannel solutions for multiple instruments?

A stereo pickup is not used on an electric guitar nor on steel drums since they are mono but maybe steel drums can be stereo.
A stereo pickup was used on vinyl records (remember them?).

Actually guys, it's a new steel drum invention...so I can't disclose the details....as it's not mine. I am just helping out some.

I have never seen an amplified steel drum. Ordinary drums use piezo transducers to pickup their vibrations.
An electret mic would be overloaded by a very loud close-by steel drum.

ok, can u guys suggest a mono circuit to start with? I can sonically isolate the electret if it is overloading.

An electret mic and its preamp can pickup any kind of sound. Since a steel drum is loud then the gain of the preamp should be fairly low.
If amplified speakers are close to the mic and the mic can hear them then of course feedback howling will occur.
The 470k pot in my preamp circuit sets the gain. Reduce its value to reduce the gain.
If the gain is turned down but distortion is heard then the mic is overloaded by sounds that are too loud for it.

Attachments

• Electret mic preamp.PNG
    Electret mic preamp.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 161
Thx much Audioguru:
Any suggestions on improving feedback isolation by creating a supercardioid pattern?

The metal housing of a mic has vents at the rear of the diaphragm to produce a cardioid pattern. I have an Audio Technica electret gooseneck mic made like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back