Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need a strong spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

marglar

Hi everyone. Complete noobie here.

I'm looking for a very simple and inexpensive to build circuit that will create a strong spark across a two to three inch gap between two metal conductors.

I'm looking for the kind of "pop" and bring, thick spark like you see on a stun gun (this isn't for a stun gun). This application doesn't need to repeatedly fire like a stun gun. A single strong spark per press of a button is perfect.

Can anyone help me out?

Other criteria:
I'd like to to be small and run off of a nine volt or something of a similar size.

Thanks for any help!

big spark

Hi Marglar,

try this website.. BUT be very carefull these do put out high voltages.. and sparks.. like 10,000 volts up... you hold yourself responsible.. ok?

heres the website- its a good read too:
POWERLABS Ignition coil drivers page!
:D
:eek:
Also you can by kits of these things if you know where to look:)

thanks for that. It might be overkill for what I need.

What I need is a really strong BBQ ignitor. A circuit that gives a nice, strong spark - but it doesn't have to be overkill.

Any help is most appreciated!

2 or 3 inch spark gap is going to require a very high voltage. If your distance requirement was a more reasonable you could use a automotive spark plug transformer, maybe a 1/2 inch or so.

Lefty

BBQ igniter

I'm Sure you can get one of them.. in a Local diy store...
I think they put out....
am I right in saying yuor after a barbeque igniter?
if so Ive just read my book on that, and can deliver several thousand volts!!

without any batts needed:)
But you need a couple of tweeks when you open the thing up..
Am I on your right wavelength?
cheers
vortex

Ok, I can reduce the gap. That was mostly for show. The important thing is to have a good, strong spark.

And yes, this is exactly like a bbq ignitor, but stronger.

I really appreciate the help figuring this out. I'm a neophyte with electronics, so it needs to be dummy proof for me.

Thanks!

I'm a neophyte with electronics, so it needs to be dummy proof for me.

Thanks!

then I'd be cautious about telling you anything about things making thousands of volts, you still haven't actually told us what your making this for I take it you understand the insulation issues of thousands of volts

Sorry, I may have misrepresented the project. "Big spark" to me, is probably "tiny spark" to you.

I'm trying to make a more powerful ignition system for my spud gun (potato cannon). I use a clicker based bbq ignitor, but it takes four or five clicks often to fire it. I've tried the off the shelf electric bbq ignitors and they work marginally.

I need a nice, hot spark to do the trick.

Can anyone help out?

right thats starting to sound more doable, so whay on earth did this spark need to be so long ? you need either more/stronger mix or a more powerful spark (maybe a bit longer but not 2-3 inchs)

Oh, I thought a longer spark would look cool...

Really, I just want a good, reliable working one.

Any ideas for a simple electric circuit to give this?

Hi Marglar,
hmmm I some what baffled on what you actually want to do.. you put "A simple circuit"
well Im afraid.. theres no simple circuit.. what you put into the Project you get out of it get me? And as Thunderchild put it, he's very correct.. & if your a newbie and dont know the basics of Electronics.. I suggest starting on a learning basis, like I did, then bigger and more complex circuits come along- or spring to mind through study.. its taken me seven years to know what I know now, not blagging but I read & read books done my maths.. etc.. & I can tell you it really pays off to do so.. I've achieved what I thought that I would not be possible..
This is not a lecture but helping you ok? See with electronics its 50-50 ie (maths- then Practical) maths is a must.. like the experts know on here.. they Know there stuff.
Yes I wont lie Ive dabbled with little stunners.. and weird loud sounds that would in effect deafen you!! but I drew back & read and studied the ground rules.. volts amps. current is all revelent in a small circuit.. just take your time and get you head into the starting points..
like measure resistance in series.. and then in Parallel.. and move to measure current with DC voltages.. NOT mains..then move a step up make a /led flasher even how boring all this may sound it really pays to do the math.. etc.... & even still I'm still learning.. and Just do it as a hobby- Yes I do go deep if I want to if the project warrents it..
hope this helps after you get a better grasp.. it will shed a much bigger light on it.. trust me..
if you stuck on anything that I can answer and the wizzes on here then I answer it..
by the way Just to say I could send you a diagram that harldy has any parts in it at all that will give out 20,000 volts at 3Amps!!! now thats very dangerous.. that will burn or blacken thing like wood etc..
that gives you a outline.. of things.. ok
good luck..
cheers
from
vortex2009

I'm trying to make a more powerful ignition system for my spud gun (potato cannon). I use a clicker based bbq ignitor, but it takes four or five clicks often to fire it. I've tried the off the shelf electric bbq ignitors and they work marginally.

I've worked with the barbecue spark igniters many times and if you use a standard lawn and garden engine spark plug the can light any type of air/fuel mixture that is at the right ratio.

The little single cylinder engines use a magneto type ignition system. That requires a spark plug with no internal resistance.
An automotive spark plug has a high internal resistance (2k - 20K ohms) and that will take all of the fire right out of a barbecue igniter.

Sorry, I may have misrepresented the project. "Big spark" to me, is probably "tiny spark" to you.

Can anyone help out?

Nope! You don't need a more powerful ignition system! All you need is some extraordinarily flammable liquid like Austrian "Stroh Rum", containing 86% of alcohol (ethyl, no methyl) which will do the trick.

Boncuk

"The dielectric breakdown strength of dry air, at Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), between spherical electrodes is approximately 33 kV/cm"

Air is never dry though, humidity runs from 20-80% typically.

"The dielectric breakdown strength of dry air, at Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), between spherical electrodes is approximately 33 kV/cm"

Better assume 1KV/mm at 50% RH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back