Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a new laptop - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, learning Linux was a mindtwister nightmare for me, and am not done, by far. More like hebrew for you. But am not going back.

Sorry; enough off the original topic.

Well, learning Linux was a mindtwister nightmare for me, and am not done, by far. More like hebrew for you. But am not going back.

Sorry; enough off the original topic.

The good news is that all operating system firms decided to use uniform language soon and it is going to be Hebrew.

Last edited:
Ron: I don't buy office supplies at Staples anymore. OK, I buy paper. Ink is horrendously expensive. They took the stuff I did buy off the shelves. I'm waiting for a sign that says 'Help close this store - Buy online". I use their copy machines, but TOO BAD 3D printing isn;t available. The place I used to buy from morpfed into Yuk, so I have to buy from lots of places now.
Some items:
1. top opening plastic string envelopes (they now carry side - removed the other)
2. 1 and 2" Post-it tape - Their copy center uses what I use, which they removed from the shelves. Now a smaller more expensive roll.
3. Pilot pens/refils - Nicest pens I ever owned
4. Staedtler fine markers - Beats Sharpies any day
5. scotch tape - better prices elsewhere
6. Rubber bands (quality issues) - (working on it) Never knew rubber bands sucked.
7. Binder clips (OK)
8. post-it notes (OK, but better deals elsewhere)
9. Shipping tape: both clear and Mylar (OK, but better deals elsewhere)

Ship to store is always possible or order at store. I think shipping is free if you order at the store.

Any questions I try to ask their computer techs gets a blank look.

Ron: I don't buy office supplies at Staples anymore. OK, I buy paper. Ink is horrendously expensive. They took the stuff I did buy off the shelves. I'm waiting for a sign that says 'Help close this store - Buy online". I use their copy machines, but TOO BAD 3D printing isn;t available. The place I used to buy from morpfed into Yuk, so I have to buy from lots of places now.
Some items:
1. top opening plastic string envelopes (they now carry side - removed the other)
2. 1 and 2" Post-it tape - Their copy center uses what I use, which they removed from the shelves. Now a smaller more expensive roll.
3. Pilot pens/refils - Nicest pens I ever owned
4. Staedtler fine markers - Beats Sharpies any day
5. scotch tape - better prices elsewhere
6. Rubber bands (quality issues) - (working on it) Never knew rubber bands sucked.
7. Binder clips (OK)
8. post-it notes (OK, but better deals elsewhere)
9. Shipping tape: both clear and Mylar (OK, but better deals elsewhere)

Ship to store is always possible or order at store. I think shipping is free if you order at the store.

Any questions I try to ask their computer techs gets a blank look.

Actually KISS I cheat. My wife Kathy does everything. Amazon is her best friend. When I want something I just write it down, stick it on her computer and in a few days I have whatever I wanted. Office Max or Office Depot or Staples is a rare occasion of I wanted it yesterday so I drive down the road a few miles. Very rare, I just let Kathy buy everything, even ordering my electronic parts or modules through Amazon. Complex things I just email her a link in Amazon to what I want. Two days later it's here. Damn I love this system. :)

Oh yeah, nothing worse than rubber bands that suck, as in don't have any elasticity to them. What good are they? :)

Ron

MY 2 CENTS, How many usb ports do you need? One for mouse, one for blue tooth, one for phone, one for gps/ tracker device, I currently use a 1 to 4 hub which takes up one of my 2 ports. And I think my usb ports are not making good connections any more,

MY 2 CENTS, How many usb ports do you need? One for mouse, one for blue tooth, one for phone, one for gps/ tracker device, I currently use a 1 to 4 hub which takes up one of my 2 ports. And I think my usb ports are not making good connections any more,

I really only need 3--One for a flash drive, one for an external HDD, and one for my USB programmer or other device (My phone perhaps). I do have 2 1-to-4 USB hubs though so it's not all that important.

When in doubt . . . go Toshiba.
I like my Toshiba, even though it only has 2 USB ports.
Who makes the most reliable USB to micro USB cords, I bought a handful of those little roll up jobs and they all failed in short order, + I despise the micro USB, they seem to not make good connections and that with the roll up cord, I never know which is giving me the most problems, wiggle the cord, wiggle the connector until I get the signal that all's connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back