Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need 1N5817 SMT Version or Equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

All,

I'm converting one of my designs over to SMT and am having trouble finding any SMT versions of 1N5817. I've searched digikey/mouser..etc..without any luck. Found it a little weird that they arn't used much as SMT but was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some? Also, I would like to stay away from the package that is basically a cylinder. Those fall off the boards at times and cause headaches for production.

The application is that it's used on a D/A which has a wiper position storage feature. The 1N5817 and a 10uF cap provide supplemental power to the chip when power is lost. It's used in a 5v embedded system.

Thanks

-mike

Hey Mike,

I had the same problem last year, I will check in the shop lab tomorrow morning and see what I used, and what I have in stock. (I left early today)

I am in Mansfield, MA.....so I could easily drop them in a thick envelope.

How many you looking for?

All,

I'm converting one of my designs over to SMT and am having trouble finding any SMT versions of 1N5817. I've searched digikey/mouser..etc..without any luck. Found it a little weird that they arn't used much as SMT but was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some? Also, I would like to stay away from the package that is basically a cylinder. Those fall off the boards at times and cause headaches for production.

The SMD version is called SM5817 and should be available on digikey. This part is available in MELF package (cylindric) and I've never seen such problems with MELF parts during production.

The SM5820-22B are available in flat SMD package (DO-214AA or SMB) but they are more expensive. I think that low current diodes (=> cheaper) could be suitable for you application, but they are usually available in mini-MELF package.

Last edited:
Hey,

That's very nice of you. Thanks! But I'm thinking you have less than I need. It goes into keyboards supplied in various products we have so the quantity would be huge for years to come. If you could perhaps give me a manufacturer or a P/N that would be great. I hope I don't have to change my D/A because we already have firmware written to control the specific one I use. Hmm..

-mike

I looked up the BOM.....here is what I used.

PN#....... MBRA120ET3G

Manufacturer.....On Semiconductor

Source.....Mouser ($0.29)

You can go to Mouser.com and get the package dimensions.

I will let you know tomorrow if I can find any left in surplus stock.

Thanks!! You have both given me enough information to even be choosy about the price :)

This part is available in MELF package (cylindric) and I've never seen such problems with MELF parts during production.

I was told that by my boss so I don't have any first hand experience with it. My thoughts are if they make the part for SMT it should work fine in production..or they wouldn't have that package. I would tend to think that wherever that problem exists it isn't a problem with the package but more a problem with the process. But..the boss is always right :)

Thanks again!

Thanks!! You have both given me enough information to even be choosy about the price :)

I was told that by my boss so I don't have any first hand experience with it. My thoughts are if they make the part for SMT it should work fine in production..or they wouldn't have that package. I would tend to think that wherever that problem exists it isn't a problem with the package but more a problem with the process. But..the boss is always right :)

Thanks again!

Some 'pick and place' machines have a hard time with the cylindrical body. You are right, it's a process problem, and a boss problem!

Last edited:
It's indeed a process problem!

wuchy143, I suggest you do a parametric search amongst Schottky diodes, you can sort them by package, price, current, etc.

I forgot to mention the cheap SS12 (less than 0.12$). You could study the specs and see if it is equivalent to the 5817 for your application.

Last edited:
Lots of times there are newer/better parts in SMT only form factor than the SMT equivalents of old leaded parts.

You don't ned a 1 amp rating for your application.
Have you taken a look at the BAT54 series? They are available in SOT23 packages.

All,

The application is that it's used on a D/A which has a wiper position storage feature. The 1N5817 and a 10uF cap provide supplemental power to the chip when power is lost. It's used in a 5v embedded system. Thanks-mike
You may try for ZHCS1000 in SOT23 package. It is a 40V 1 amp device, and very low Vf drop at currents upto 250 to 300mA. and 450mV at 1 amp. datasheet can be had from ::: ALLDATASHEET - Datasheet search site, Datasheet search site for Electronic Components and Semiconductors and other semiconductors.

thanks for all the replies. I"m going to dig through all the datasheets to find the ideal/cheapest one. Thanks guys.

-mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back