Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NE555p circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding? 555 timers are an excellent introduction to ICs for newbies, and are most certainly NOT "too complex" :p
The way of understanding opamps is complex :D I'm a trainee in 3rd year and we went step by step from electrons and protons to complex schematics, components, maths.
I just wanted to say you cannot fly before you learn it. But IDK if there are NE555 kits for newbies. With one of those it's possible ofc. :p
Since NE555 has the most basic external circuit under the opamps

The way of understanding opamps is complex :D I'm a trainee in 3rd year and we went step by step from electrons and protons to complex schematics, components, maths.
I just wanted to say you cannot fly before you learn it. But IDK if there are NE555 kits for newbies. With one of those it's possible ofc. :p
Since NE555 has the most basic external circuit under the opamps
Excuse US =) we should start here:

Okay, here are the basics of the 555 operation, which may help:

The 555 operation is fairly simple.
It is a level-triggered latch (flip-flop) with a an added DIScharge output to reset the timing capacitor.

When the TRIG voltage goes below 1/3 Vcc, the latch is set (OUT high and DIS open).

If the TRIG voltage is back above 1/3 Vcc, then when the THRS voltage goes above 2/3 Vcc, the latch is reset (OUT low, and DIS connected to ground to discharge the timing capacitor).

It stays low until a low on the TRIG input again sets the latch (if the THRS voltage is below 2/3 Vcc).

From that you should be able to understand the operation of the 555 in it's various modes of operation, such as astable and monostable multivibrator.

... But, simply the 555 is not an "Opamp"!
I was going to say the same thing. For a "trainee in 3rd year" you'd think you'd know the difference between an "op-amp" and a "timer" IC. Not making a very strong argument here....

But IDK if there are NE555 kits for newbies. With one of those it's possible ofc. :p
Why on earth do you think you need a kit? Just get a breadboard and some wires and you have one of the most universal "kits" available on the market.

I'm not sure why I'm just now getting notifications for this thread, but ah well. I did end up getting the 555 to work and eventually hooked it up to a few mosfets to power a flyback to get the optimal frequency for my plasma globe.
Thank you for all your help here. Just wish I would have seen it sooner. XD
Turns out the problem was in my unreliable breadboard where some of the connections were loose and didn't hold most of the components. Anyway, got a new breadboard and made a transistor tester from another 555.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back