Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nasa to open International Space Station to tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickster

Most Helpful Member

I'm thinking of pretending to be a "flerfer" and opening up a GoFundMe begging page, to prove that the earth is flat to all the other "flerfer's".
Whaddayafink?
I'd bet that when it comes to shelling out their own money, most of them would balk at the idea..... :)

For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!

Going back to the moon, and actually setting up a base there, is really the obvious first step - and should have been done a LONG time ago.

My feeling on the current state of space travel is that it's still unbelievably crude and expensive - sticking a tiny payload (including passengers) on top of a huge firework is horrible primitive.

We really need a MUCH better way of getting in to space, the Space Shuttle 'could' have been such a system except it ended up been just another tiny payload on a big firework.

The Virgin Galactic solution looks a MUCH more promising idea, getting the space vehicle high up, and travelling at a high speed, before launching it - and makes for a truely reusable system. Although I'm also pretty impressed that Elon Musk is actually landing and reusing his early rocket stages, but still just a giant firework and very inefficient.

How many of you remember the puppet series Fireball XL5 - they launched from earth along a railway track, sat on a rocket powered sled - the track curved up at the end (like a jump jet ramp on a carrier) and as the sled fell away at the end of the track the ships own engines were fired, so again you've got a good level of speed without expending your own fuel.

Going back to the moon, and actually setting up a base there, is really the obvious first step - and should have been done a LONG time ago.

You're right about that. But you seem to have missed the part where he said, "including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science! " He is our president and we're all proud of him. :banghead::arghh:o_O

Ever heard a supervisor, or manager, trying to describe or explain something which they have a large disconnect in understanding, but are willing to go ahead and bluff it anyway, in an attempt to appear smart?

:)

The Virgin Galactic solution looks a MUCH more promising idea, getting the space vehicle high up, and travelling at a high speed, before launching it - and makes for a truely reusable system.
IIRC some of the X-15 pilots earned astronaut wings for their high altitude flights. the X15, like the rest of the X-planes were launched from under the wing of a B-52 (i think some of the X1 flights were launched from a B-29/B50).

and i can guess about the tickets for "tourist class" seating... "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

IIRC some of the X-15 pilots earned astronaut wings for their high altitude flights. the X15, like the rest of the X-planes were launched from under the wing of a B-52 (i think some of the X1 flights were launched from a B-29/B50).

and i can guess about the tickets for "tourist class" seating... "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

Well I thought it wasn't 'too' bad at £35,000 - but then I noticed that was 'per night' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back