Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

n00b questions (1) circuit analysis/problem solving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Mario

Hi,
First,is problem solving important and useful? :D

Second :
I got this problem from a book I have...

"five coulombs of charge pass through the element in Fig1 form point A to point B. if the energy ABSORBED by th element is 120 J,determine the voltage across the element"

The charge enters the negative terminal and leaves the positive terminal (as u see in the figure) which means the element is supplying power according to "the passive sign convention" ,but the problem says it's absorbing energy....hmmm :?: :?

Thanks

Attachments

• FigP1.10.jpg
    FigP1.10.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 573
I have no idea what this "passive sign convention" is but you don't need it to solve the problem. The formula you want is V=W/Q. W is expressed in Joules and Q is expressed in Coulombs.

the "covention" i read in the same book which is "basic engineering " by david Irwin says that if a current enters a negative terminal and leaves the postive one of an element then it means it's supplying but it says in the question it's absorbing,that's what makes me confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back