Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My %$#& speaker system is finally fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioguru

Most Helpful Member
About 3 years ago I bought a 2.1 speaker system for the TV in my computer room. It was rated at 150W or 75W depending where you looked (what a bunch of lies). Inside it had a small 9VAC/1.1A power transformer (9.9W).
Its real total output is about 5.5W to 7W. It sounded great for two years then its woofer became intermittent.

When its speaker connector was wiggled on the pcb then the woofer sound came and went. So I removed the connector and soldered the woofer wires directly to the pcb and it worked fine for a couple of weeks. FIXED! But no, it became intermittent again. Maybe its power amplifier IC shuts down when it gets heated? Maybe the tone controls connector has an intermittent contact?
I looked and looked but saw nothing wrong. The soldering on the pcb looked good. The woofer stopped and started if the pcb was flexed one micron or more.

Today I re-soldered every solder joint on the pcb and now I cannot make it stop working.:happy:

Attachments

• Sylvania speaker system.PNG
    Sylvania speaker system.PNG
    189.1 KB · Views: 160
cool!
i hate when companies lie like that, how in earth can they say it's 150w rated....oh well, this is over my head :D

AND, gratz for successful repair :)

cool!
i hate when companies lie like that, how in earth can they say it's 150w rated....oh well, this is over my head :D
AND, gratz for successful repair :)
Maybe they put tiny little decimal points to make the 150W actually 15.0W peak and the 75W RMS actually 7.5W RMS?

Maybe it's centiwatts, but since such a unit is not used, they just put W......

The fact that the model number is an easy anagram to solve kind of gives it all away ;)
I didn't notice that the swear word is spelled slightly wrong.

Noise? No hiss, no hum. I play FM radio music from my cable TV/Internet provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back