Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My SMT attempts failed again: And it's pissing me off

Status
Not open for further replies.
DigiTan said:
Eh, don't worry about it. So far, I've been pre-cleaning the iron tip with rubbing alcohol and its advertised at 40W. The flux/earwax is Kester Rosin Paste Flux "formula SP-44." One of the key ingrediants is petroleum jelly. I applied with a dental tool, also pre-cleaned with alcohol. :?

I presume your iron ISN'T temperature controlled?, it would be a LOT better if it was. I'm also bemused by cleaning the bit with rubbing alcohol?, there seems no need (or use?) in such a procedure. Just tin the bit, and wipe it on a damp sponge.

But what you do need is liquid flux, not the paste type - it makes a massive difference to SM soldering.

And WHATEVER you do, DON'T attempt to glue the parts down :lol:

Maybe thats why my SMD soldering goes so smoothly. I also have a temperature controlled soldering iron.

I use temperature controlled micro-tip soldering iron for larger SMDs parts and hot air soldering station for fine QFPs and other small devices which are difficult with soldering iron. You should buy this station if you are planning to work with SMDs for long. It will not cost you much. Look for the Chinese make stations. They are very cheap.

DigiTan said:
Sorry, I just seem to be having one of those weeks were something goes wrong with my projects no matter what I try. It's almost paranormal.

'Matter of fact, I'm not even gonna try. I just need to find a company that can solder this stuff for me. Besides, I need a BGA package soldered soon, and no one can do those by hand.

Digitan, I sympathize with you.

But you really ought to learn to work with SMT if you are serious about electronics work. SMT will not be going away but all the large leaded stuff
will be going away in the future (There are exceptions I know.)

You can find companies to do it for you but the cost / value added ratio is really high. I wouldn't recommend that for anything other than high volume production manufacturing for a company with no facilities.

You really need steady hands, magnifier (if you're older like Ron H), patience and most of all practice! You'll get it, just keep trying.

P.S. I know some techs who can rework a BGA by hand.. it _can_ be done..

Optikon said:
P.S. I know some techs who can rework a BGA by hand.. it _can_ be done..

They must have very hot hands :lol:

But isn't "by hand" rather misleading?, don't you mean using a hand operated device, rather than a robot operated one?. I know a guy who can change BGA chips, but you can't do it without special equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back