Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

**broken link removed**

Isn't she a beauty? Not quite sure what i am going to do with it, yet. I was thinking a belt computer? Make a voice dictation program for it, and carry it around with me... :D

What do you guys think i should do with it?

You've purchased a computer without a purpose... Why did you purchase it? You're asking the wrong question.

Usually hardware configuration depends on your needs. Curious how you made up your mind about what parts to go with in the first place.

Gayan Soyza said:
AGP 4X & FSB 133 not enough isn’t it. Marks why it’s calling a belt computer?
I noticed that also. Leaves me scratching my head thinking there are so many other better MOBOs out there. And let's get nit-picky here... it's a MOBO not a 'puter. It can't do stink without all the support devices that plug into it.

You guys... :rolleyes:

Belt computer Wearable Computer, whatever. They are the same things....

HiTech said:
it's a MOBO not a 'puter

Yes, but everything is on-board. Sure, i need to buy the cables for it, but as far as i know, everything is on board (i will also need an external psu, but that won't be too hard). It is an Embedded PC. With this model, you can boot to compact flash or an IDE device (hd or cd).

A configuration like this;

**broken link removed**

I probably won't be able to afford the HMD (Head Mounted Display), but the mic and the speaker will be no problem, nor will the wireless (usb wireless, maybe?)

You guys are thick headed! (no offence)

What did you think i meant? Gaming? Ha! Right...

I was asking what type of applications you people could think of for it. As said before, i was thinking wearable computer. I also came up with a few more ideas such as autonomous robot, interactive room, and probably some other fun ideas.

Oh, also, it is the size of a CD-ROM DRIVE

Looking again at the pic of it, I gather you're right as I compare the relative size of the board to the memory battery on board. But that's still no excuse for you being a nerd.;)

HiTech said:
But that's still no excuse for you being a nerd
i prefer geek, thank you. ;) (oh, and it is a perfect excuse! :D)

I am still torn by which OS i should use on it. If i use windoz on it, i would be able to make my own software for the voice and wireless, but if i use linux, i would not be able to create my own apps (unless i use mono[.net compatibility for linux]), or unless i learn a whole new language (i am a vb.net nut)

I was looking into Windows CE.NET. Has anyone used it?

I would like to hear other's opinions.

Sweet Marks, er, teakyfreaky,
Looks like a fun project! There is a site (sorry, can't recall, but I'll try looking later,) which sells power supplies for automotive computers. All kinds of possibilities!
I am still torn by which OS i should use on it.
Looks like a good time to learn C, to me.

Use linux and learn ANSI C. It will get you far in life =)

BeeBop said:
Sweet Marks, er, teakyfreaky,

The user name is a long story... :D My cat's name is "freak", and my mom is obsessed with the little devil... She thought of the name... ;) :rolleyes:

Sceadwain said:
Use linux and learn ANSI C. It will get you far in life =)

I think what i will do is i will put some form of windows on it, and get it all working, and then after a while, i will probably put Damn Small on it (linux)... I need to master VB first, and then i will learn ANSI C. ;)

BeeBop said:
Marks,
Here is a site that sells a compact power supply:
**broken link removed**

You might also be interested in this site:
http://www.pc104.org/

Thanks for the links. Especially the first one. That is cool! :)

I have seen the second one, before. I am really excited about the PC/104 bus! How many devices can be stacked? 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back