Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my latest greatest ideas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

these are 2 seperate ones here:

A) i want to make a door curtain much like a hippie one with beeds, however instead of the string joining the beeds i need to use 3wire, however i fear that if i use common copper wire it will not flex enough and create a crinkle causing the strands to not drop into a nice straight "vertical" .
as i have been brainstorming all i can come up with is the wire found on my butt set, but i think it is one wire anyway, but maybe someone knows where i can get butt set type wire, in a 3 wire, or maybe something better i havn;t thought of? guage isnt too important, i think my current stays under 600ma

B) i have been reading alot lately about magnetism and dimagnetics, since reading about the little coil guns and such, now im not firing any projectiles, however i want to do some displacement against the force of gravity, say to create a slope of .25 to 1, and i am just thinking of the force involved, and what would be best to use: I could make some coils to pulse to force the slope, or i was thinking that maybe a superconductor may be better,
BUT my main question is would either work? AND is there something i can buy where i just drop in the cryogenic and the superconductor charges,
I wonder about the costs to build, and the cost to run for each of these devices, which is better for which? i figure cryogenics is costly to build but cheap to run, however induction would be cheap to build and expensive to run,,, correct??

Last edited:
A. You might try very fine magnet wire, you can get hair-fine 42 AWG and even thinner. Hang a weighted bead at the bottom if you need help holding it straight.

B. ??? You want to know how to make an electromagnet?

Ultra-flexible wire is sometimes called noodle wire. It became popular when electric models became popular. Deans markets it widely and there are several re-sellers (here's a short list):

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/wire/index.html
http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=Wire
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

An OEM is Daburn wire. I had tried buying form them in the past, and that was impossible in less than 1000 foot spools. I was delighted to find it has changed that policy.

http://www.daburn.com/2671UltraFlex...5681692.aspx?gclid=CO3Ompq9-K0CFULe4AodUH8tuQ

I have not seen it in multiconductor versions. Twisted 29awg would still be quite flexible and think of your color choices!

You might consider braiding instead of twisting. The Daburn wire is PVC, not silicone, so after braiding or twisting, you can go over it with a heat gun to fuse it.

John

Edit: Beads will be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
B) i have been reading alot lately about magnetism and dimagnetics, since reading about the little coil guns and such, now im not firing any projectiles, however i want to do some displacement against the force of gravity, say to create a slope of .25 to 1, and i am just thinking of the force involved, and what would be best to use: I could make some coils to pulse to force the slope, or i was thinking that maybe a superconductor may be better,
BUT my main question is would either work? AND is there something i can buy where i just drop in the cryogenic and the superconductor charges,
I wonder about the costs to build, and the cost to run for each of these devices, which is better for which? i figure cryogenics is costly to build but cheap to run, however induction would be cheap to build and expensive to run,,, correct??
the force is proportional to what you´re lifting.
Superconductors? Do you seriously think you can get any high-temperature superconducting material (which means possible to cool with liquid nitrogen instead of liquid helium) at a price that a mortal could afford? Just stay with copper ;)

Last edited:
ya, i guess i do need LH, still i cant help but wonder that LH materials may be cheaper to do; instead of supplying the energy to run induction coils 24/7/365, it just seems to me that it may be cheaper to keep a strip of vacuum sealed metal cool, as oppose to those hv pulses

also to be more transparent, i will be dropping a material through a funnel, a few feet below the funnel material will land in a box, BUT i want to use the machine to non mechanically "push" laterally"" the material into another box beside it....

ultimately my design needs to be more efficient than constant-ally running a high power industrial water pump...... and needs to work at an atomic level

A)btw, thnx i will look in to those.......

Last edited:
I just read the second part of your plan.

Here's an experiment that might amuse you . Get an aluminum tube. Arrow shafts work great. Get a small magnet. The rare earth magnets work best. Drop a piece of anything down the tube and notice how long it takes to exit. Now, drop your magnet down the tube.
Does it take the same amount of time?

Maybe you can disprove Galileo.

John

As long as it is not too heavy. If it is heavy, the effect won't be as obvious.

John

still on this....

so was watching that copper pipe trick, pretty cool,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E97CYWlALEs&feature=related

A)but i want to simulate a ND magnet with a wire coil, what would be best?

maybe something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZL6mLISxeo&feature=related
but i cant find designs for it..(again with the coil size, feed voltage/current & frequency)

also my big question in all this is that just like a magnetic material has a charge time(ie L), could i presume that since di magnetic are just negative, that would mean that they have a similar time curve where the eddy currents build?

B)simply: what is the period of time that water or copper would respond to the magnet(before the eddies are done moving)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back