Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my fist lesson in C++ programing

Status
Not open for further replies.
david@david-laptop ~ $ apt-get remove pentium-builder
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
david@david-laptop ~ $

If you don't have a root login (probable, under a Ubuntu derivative like Mint) then you need to add 'sudo' in front of any commands you execute which need root privileges to run. i.e.:

% sudo apt-get remove pentium-builder

Use your regular password when it asks you for one.

Torben

If you don't have a root login (probable, under a Ubuntu derivative like Mint) then you need to add 'sudo' in front of any commands you execute which need root privileges to run. i.e.:

% sudo apt-get remove pentium-builder

Use your regular password when it asks you for one.

Torben

thanks man

IT WORKED THANK YOU.
cool now all i have to do to get to is

cd /
ls
cd /home/david/Desktop/
./(filename)

i have this excitable file but i cant just double click on it and enter the program can i do that? can i bring the program over to windows and double click on it (in windows the file is just known as a "file")
i am not making some funny codes and trying to build off this code untill i get some C++ books

IT WORKED THANK YOU.

Awesome! Good job.

cool now all i have to do to get to is

cd /
ls
cd /home/david/Desktop/
./(filename)

i have this excitable file but i cant just double click on it and enter the program can i do that?

It's hard for me to say, since I haven't seen the code. I imagine that it's just a text-mode command line program, so assuming that the executable you compiled to is in /home/David/Desktop, then yeah--the above should run it.

Double-clicking it is slightly more complicated; it will run the program but in most cases you won't see the output so you won't know that it's been run.

can i bring the program over to windows and double click on it (in windows the file is just known as a "file")

No--it's a Linux ELF executable file, which is not compatible with the Windows executable file format.

i am not making some funny codes and trying to build off this code untill i get some C++ books

Books are an excellent idea. Also, Googling for "c++ tutorial" will get you lots of hits. One that looks pretty good is https://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Good luck!

Torben

Awesome! Good job.

It's hard for me to say, since I haven't seen the code. I imagine that it's just a text-mode command line program, so assuming that the executable you compiled to is in /home/David/Desktop, then yeah--the above should run it.

Double-clicking it is slightly more complicated; it will run the program but in most cases you won't see the output so you won't know that it's been run.

No--it's a Linux ELF executable file, which is not compatible with the Windows executable file format.

Books are an excellent idea. Also, Googling for "c++ tutorial" will get you lots of hits. One that looks pretty good is https://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Good luck!

Torben

thanks man i am pumps for more programing tommarow. but now i have to program myself to shut off and stop thinking about programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back